Age of Salmon?

After a couple of years asking the same question and getting an assortment of answers, does anyone have the definitive answer? The mature salmon that will be running the streams this year are;

3 years old

3 1/2 years old

4 years old

4 1/2 years old

I understand that some will run a year earlier than normal and also a year or two later. I'm talking about the norm.

I always assumed this year's run would have hatched in spring 2012 making them 3 1/2 years old.

Two, three and Four Year olds. Not many four year olds swimming around Lake O in the past couple years

Brian!...where's the expiration date stamped on the Salmon. Does it say " I'm a 4 year old"? How can you tell? :blink::huh:

Brian!...where's the expiration date stamped on the Salmon. Does it say " I'm a 4 year old"? How can you tell? :blink::huh:

They should have a birth certificate with them Mark.  You just have to ask for it.  Canadian kings that are lost should be carrying an Enhanced license or a passport.  If not, Oboma will give them a job, healthcare and tax free living.

They should have a birth certificate with them Mark. You just have to ask for it. Canadian kings that are lost should be carrying an Enhanced license or a passport. If not, Oboma will give them a job, healthcare and tax free living.

Lol! I get it... they come here after 4 years old so they can get free dentures and lamprey removal. So they bite on the Obama spoon...it runs way off left and ruins the whole program and then finds out it's a sham. So it dies anyway. How sad is that?

There was a report published that I read about 2 or 3 years ago. They tested the fish DNA to determine age.

Found that most fish were 3 year olds, very few 4 year olds, and some 2 year olds. In fact

I remember that there were more 2 year olds than 4 year olds.

I don't think this is a steadfast number, but certainly what is consistent is it's been hard catching 4 year olds (based on size I am guessing age).

There was a report published that I read about 2 or 3 years ago. They tested the fish DNA to determine age.

Found that most fish were 3 year olds, very few 4 year olds, and some 2 year olds. In fact

I remember that there were more 2 year olds than 4 year olds.

I don't think this is a steadfast number, but certainly what is consistent is it's been hard catching 4 year olds (based on size I am guessing age).

It's not the DNA but scale sample they use to tell the age of a King, Coho,

Lol! I get it... they come here after 4 years old so they can get free dentures and lamprey removal. So they bite on the Obama spoon...it runs way off left and ruins the whole program and then finds out it's a sham. So it dies anyway. How sad is that?

. It beats getting fired by a certain duck and then having to spit the lure and die

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United