Sweet!  Makes it all worth it...  I can't tell you how many times I think "the last line in the water" is going to get smoked if I just leave it in a little bit longer...

It never happens!  For me at least - glad to see it happens for someone

Edited by FLXTrolling

That is what separates us diehards from fair weather fisherman.  A fair weather fisherman can fish 6 hrs only if they are catching, while a diehard will stick it out knowing that at any moment you get that special fish.  This persistence has paid off for me several times with memorable catches but usually I just go home with the skunk.

Congrats on the catch - it is a beauty.

Thanks guys,  I'm new to salmon/trout trolling this year with riggers and dipsey's, ect. It's been expensive and tough fishing for me. My catch per hour ratio would definitely put me in the diehard class ! My catch vs money spent ratio would probably put me in the loony class..LOL. But I wouldn't have it any other way. Grew up a diehard fisherman!

I always dilly dalley when pulling up the spread, trying to get that last bite, leaving the hottest set up in till last. Then you get a fish and set back up because you think the bite is ON!

Hahahahaha, if I got a dollar for every time I have done that, I would be a very wealthy guy right now.  I love how that one hit, not necessarily even a fish in the boat, spurs on another good 2 hours of fishing!! :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :o  :yes:  :yes:  :yes:  Fantastic Laker, by the way!

Edited by John Kelley

Fished about 6 hours out of Sandy on Sunday. This was all I got, 80 to 100 fow, all sorts of fish and bait, just didn't want to bite, this was my last line in the water,just about to reel it up when the rigger fired.

Very nice! Did you have a chance to weight it? Congratulations on releasing it to fight another day (and make other lakers too). Nice going!

It's giant that's for sure!  What did your dog of it, haha?  I just noticed him in the background

Dog's name is Lucy...she loves it out there when I take her :).  1st time I took her out I hooked a big muskie...don't know what she was thinking, she jumped right in the water, 1st time she's ever been in water! LOL, my son grabbed her by the collar when she circled back around...she won't do that again.

Looking at you last photo, it looks like the laker does have an adipose fin.  That means it is a wild laker not a stocked laker.  Not many wild ones around.  I usually get a couple a season. 

Edited by GAMBLER

If a fish does not have an adipose fin it means it is a stocked fish, adipose fin=wild fish, no fin= stocked fish. Does not matter, still a fish of a life time.

I did not mean nothing bad about the fish.  All lakers that are stocked in Lake Ontario are fin clipped.  Being a wild lake trout in Lake Ontario is rare.  Thats all I was pointing out.