Issue with DR probe twisting line

Wondered if anyone else has this problem. I was fishing Erie out of Dunkirk Sunday, I went to trip the release and check things but found the line was tangled around the probe and cable. This is the first time I have had this issue, I tried letting it down slower and that seemed to help. I am using a torpedo from Troutman.

I did have another line twist pretty bad on the other downrigger but think that was a issue with the harness I switched to as I didn't have issue with any other harnesses.

The first time I checked and brought it up to untangle the line from the probe I had a nice laker on that I managed to land.

Any thoughts or ideas besides slowing down lowering the rigger?

Thanks

A couple things come to mind: strong current and lowering the probe too rapidly The second you can do something about but the first "not so much" :lol:  Not sure what type of release you are using and where it is located in relation to the probe but make sure it is doing what it is supposed to do also.

Yeah was thinking there was a good current when I was fishing.

I am using blacks release which is below the probe. I have thought about putting a release on the line above the probe next time I have to take some line off to get back to coated cable.

Been using the blacks releases for a few years, but first year with the probe and never had this issue before.

I didn't realize you were using coated cable. Are you able to run the release off the back of the torpedo weight itself?

Thanks for all the replies and help. The next time I have to cut the cable I will put a Blacks release above the probe as that is what I like and am used to.

I do have a Chamberlain release that I might have to see if I can put it on like Skippers trophy says without cutting. I have been wanting to try it as they are supposed work well on lite bites as I have had walleye tagging along for the ride on the riggers without tripping them.

I have had similar problems in the pat running pinch pad releases below the probe.  few years ago i switched to Chamberlain stackers above the probe and never had a tangle since.

The great thing about Chamberlain releases is that the rad tension and the release trigger tension is adjusted separately, i run very tight rod tension and adjust the release tesion as light as the rig will allow. if a fis touches it it will go of. with the high rod tension you can crank down your 8-9' rigger rods with false releases. i think you hook more fish using this method.

this year i have started using the Chamberlain stackers on my side planers and the work way better than any other rigger release i have ever used, they slide down without issue and release instantly when a fish hits the planer rod.