looking at a 21ft bayliner with a 150 force outboard

bondouley

i just saw this boat for sale and im interested in it but i have questions on force outboards.  Everything i know about them is bad my brother has always hated them.  Im not a mechanically inclined person so i dont want a motor that i have to work on.  I have a 90 johnson on my current boat and i love it but the boat is not big enough for serious tournament fishing.  ive done a bunch of research and have heard both good things and bad so please guys tell me what you think and dont hold back.  I would like as much info on them as i can get good or bad.  The boat is very reasonbley priced thats why im looking at it instead of just dismissing it cause of the motor.  Ive called the owner but he didnt answer so while im waiting on his call back i thought i would see what you guys thought.  Thanks in advance for any info

Can't tell you much directly about Force but I do know that Force was the new name of Chrysler Outboards that came from the sale of Chrysler Outboards to Bayliner.  I have a 1975-80ish 85 HP Chrysler Outboard on boat which used to bethe boat I used on the Lake for the first go around with this fishery.  I was not impressed with the Chrysler outboards, few people worked on them and parts were available but a struggle to get.  The motor always seemed to be struggling to start and always seemed to be on the verge of having a new issue with it.  Now I am not sure how the Forces grew out of that sale to Bayliner but first thing I would look at is availability of parts and a mechanic that will work on them, especially locally.  You don't want to be sitting on the sidelines waiting for mail order or crossed fingers with ebay purchases.   Sorry I can't give you more direct information on a Force motor itself.

Edited by pvelyk

1987 to late nineties Bilgeliners and force outboards spell trouble. Yes the old chrysler outboards were good,but what mercury turned them into is terrible. I have rebuilt a few bayliners for friends and every time the stringers were rotten and the transoms questionable. On top of that the flotation foam is usually very unevenly divided,but probably with a 21 footer there is not going to be any foam.

There is a reason why people do not like them.

Edited by rolmops

Owned a brand new 1987 1903 model 19 ft CC. It was 10,000 dollars new. Boat 125 force and trailer. Cheap enough but that means cheap. The force was a nuisance with idle problems and fussy for tune. No oil injection. It was a four cylinder with two carbs. The 150 is five cylinders with 3 carbs. Not very powerful charging system for electronics.

The boat was a take off of the bow rider Capri model and therefore had little freeboard forward and waves of 3 feet would regularly flow over the bow into the cockpit at troll speed. The hull design is not too bad with 19 degree dead rise but it wandered terribly at low speeds.

Not a tournament caliber boat on Lake O. Not sure where you would use it though.

Mechanically the motor was not bad but it is a orphan. No one really supplying it for power anymore.

Mark

I had a 1992, 2002 Trophy with the 150 Force that I bought brand new and it was junk. I had it back to the dealer numerous times and they could fix it. It won't troll so you'd need a kicker. It will just foul plugs like crazy. The fuel delivery sucks. 3 carbs for 5 cylinders just doesn't work. It needs constant tuning. It's gutless as well. I don't know where they get 150 hp from but it can't be at the prop. I wouldn't do it if I were you.

Total Chaos