fat otisco smallie

Caught this 6 pounder a couple weeks ago with meathunter night trolling on a flicker shad down 23 off a downrigger with spin tackle. We get plenty of 4-6 pounders throughout a season and some longer than this one, but this is the fattest one ive personally seen from Otisco.

The fish was between 20-21. Ive been trying off and on my whole adult life for a 22" and the closest ive come was a 21.75" out of the Susquehanna musky fishing a spot my son took me to....i did 3 skis that night too. We have had several 21's from Otisco too. Should have been Jeff's (meathunter) fish, but he wasn't quick enough to the rod so he got to take the pic. I think we got one just as big together last summer too...

Jespy,

I honestly seldom target smallies, but in the dead of summer on Otisco trolling would be as good a way as any. If fish are suspended on bait fairly deep its not that easy any other way. Smallies like it fast say 2.5 to 3.5 if you decide to give it a try. The rapala dt series bass cranks work well and you can flat line the 20's to nearly 40 feet on thin braid. The new big kvd model gets well over 20 casting it so it probably would troll to 40' but it pulls very hard.

No idea what the lake record is but i usually check the weights of the 2 or 3 tournaments a week and ive seen many around 6 pounds. They are using a better scale than mine too...seems like someone must have caught a seven pounder. The largies go quite a bit bigger yet...