Single hook in tandem or treble

I'm 11for 11 with single hooks in tandem on a fly, where I'm 2 for 5 with a single hook and a treble. and the two with the treble where caught with the single hook and the treble was hooked to nothing but the net. I guess it's time to swap my meat rigs to all singles too. 

I'm a fan of 2 2/0 brads octopus hooks in tandem as well and not to mention a lot easier to release fish and get out of the net

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Edited by minion

I must say I'm very disappointed on the number of fish that smack my flies and are not on very long. I use 4x size 2 spark points with a 5/0 gammy single above it. I'm going to tie some tandem singes up for this weekend.

silverfoxcharters.net

I must say I'm very disappointed on the number of fish that smack my flies and are not on very long. I use 4x size 2 spark points with a 5/0 gammy single above it. I'm going to tie some tandem singes up for this weekend.

silverfoxcharters.net

I would be interested to know how this works out for you...

I've used the "double single"  rig since the late 80's, tie my own rigs, and have been happy with the results. The trick for me is to have the rear hook hanging exposed behind the fly or squid.

post-139500-0-01870200-1440422982_thumb.jpgpost-139500-0-36777500-1440423029_thumb.jpg

silverfoxcharters.net

I think that your problem here is that IMO you trebles are to small and to "stout". I think the 5/0 Gammy are fine for the single but I promise you will be MUCH happier if you use 2X- 1/0- Gammy trebles. Anybody reading this you are having better success with the singles because of the fact you are using bigger hooks on those rigs. Upgrade the size of your trebles and you will re-think the whole thing again. Also using the higher "X" # makes the hook point fatter thereby reducing penetration potential. Using thinner hooks always helps penetration, this is another reason it appears as though the singles are a better option as everyone uses the standard or 2X versions. Tie your rigs with the 5/0 single and the 2X- 1/0- treble and use Gamakatsu hooks and you will be liking the results. I will agree that unhooking fish with both hooks engaged is tough at times :)

Edited by Tony G