One thing i use to do when salmon fishing especially with J plugs was to resharpen the hooks after every fish.If i didnt the chances of losing them rose considerably.I troll with copper and divers now but to big of a spread might hurt especially with a big fish,better to pull some rods and turn back then to try and bring a big fish in.I hardly ever lost a king by turning back.There are alot of salmon around still a good month left for good fishing in the lake,hopefully.lol

Was on the water Saturday and Sunday (9/5 & 9/6). Saturday we had a good bite going in the morning, mag glow spoons and black and silver with a red dot were hot. Fished in 150 FOW on an east west run between Bear Creek and Pultneyville, after 10 AM the bite fell off.  We tried putting things further from the ball (30’ – 50’), changing rotator sizes, fly’s and moved in to 75’ – 100’ FOW, no luck. However, I did manage to drop my wallet in the big O.  Happy Birthday to me!

Sunday we got a later start, on the water (6:30 AM) my nephew never fished for salmon and thought we are nuts for 5 AM wakeup call. We setup as we did on Saturday morning for the morning bite. Had three good hits once my nephew got the rod he would point the rod at the water and real slow, lost all three. Mid-morning I had a rigger fire and grabbed it, ensured the fish was hooked and handed the rod off again with a lot of coaching, he landed his first king. It was small but it was a keeper and my nephew was most happy. This was on a 11†Mountain Dew paddle with a PRO-AM fly with a 36†leader. I was happy for the second hook as the leader to the treble hook broke inside.

The rest of the morning, the bait seamed to move in towards the 125’ – 80’ FOW range. We setup our run west past the power plant, with little activity on the screen and no hits. After changing up the presentation and again pushing things back of the boat further, still no action.  I decided we would make the turn and head back (east) towards Bear Creek. The wind had died down and the water was nearly flat along with the air temperature was hot. I noticed that our down speed was nearly 3.4 after the turn and before I could slow us down, the 300’ copper was off and running. It was short lived as the braided line broke at the planer board. Dang!

After recovering the planer board, we continued east and began to pick up as it was nearing 2 PM. I decided to drop my second 300’ copper in the port side as a longline (300’ copper and 100’ braid out). We took pictures and cleaned the king. As we began picking up the remaining gear on the starboard side the 300’ copper was screaming… with a whole lot of jumping out of the water some 400+’ behind the boat. My nephew landed a nice 10.5 lbs. rainbow. After placing the fish in the box I decided to dropped the copper back out again.

After pictures, fish and boat cleaning, the 300’ copper was running again! What, you are kidding me… Nope, we lost it, put the rod away, and went home.

The things that I found interesting was, copper was outperforming everything else as the water became calmer. Orange on gold (mag chicken wing) continues to produce fish. In addition, we had a down speed of 3.0 – 3.5 which is what I would have consider way too fast. Finley, my last thought was I had two good hit after cleaning fish. Maybe chumming works, although I do not think it is allowed.

Edited by David R

Whew that storm came out of no where.It was bright sun and in a flash the storm moved in.It was a good thing i turned on the weather and they had the warning.Wel It actualy blew by me before i got back as it was 8 miles out from port,never saw any lightning.The fishing was great for lakers but no luck on kings,did mark alot of fish high either coho or steelhed  40 over100 .Temp was 45  degrees 70 down over 90

Was on the water Saturday and Sunday (9/5 & 9/6). Saturday we had a good bite going in the morning, mag glow spoons and black and silver with a red dot were hot. Fished in 150 FOW on an east west run between Bear Creek and Pultneyville, after 10 AM the bite fell off.  We tried putting things further from the ball (30’ – 50’), changing rotator sizes, fly’s and moved in to 75’ – 100’ FOW, no luck. However, I did manage to drop my wallet in the big O.  Happy Birthday to me!

Sunday we got a later start, on the water (6:30 AM) my nephew never fished for salmon and thought we are nuts for 5 AM wakeup call. We setup as we did on Saturday morning for the morning bite. Had three good hits once my nephew got the rod he would point the rod at the water and real slow, lost all three. Mid-morning I had a rigger fire and grabbed it, ensured the fish was hooked and handed the rod off again with a lot of coaching, he landed his first king. It was small but it was a keeper and my nephew was most happy. This was on a 11†Mountain Dew paddle with a PRO-AM fly with a 36†leader. I was happy for the second hook as the leader to the treble hook broke inside.

The rest of the morning, the bait seamed to move in towards the 125’ – 80’ FOW range. We setup our run west past the power plant, with little activity on the screen and no hits. After changing up the presentation and again pushing things back of the boat further, still no action.  I decided we would make the turn and head back (east) towards Bear Creek. The wind had died down and the water was nearly flat along with the air temperature was hot. I noticed that our down speed was nearly 3.4 after the turn and before I could slow us down, the 300’ copper was off and running. It was short lived as the braided line broke at the planer board. Dang!

After recovering the planer board, we continued east and began to pick up as it was nearing 2 PM. I decided to drop my second 300’ copper in the port side as a longline (300’ copper and 100’ braid out). We took pictures and cleaned the king. As we began picking up the remaining gear on the starboard side the 300’ copper was screaming… with a whole lot of jumping out of the water some 400+’ behind the boat. My nephew landed a nice 10.5 lbs. rainbow. After placing the fish in the box I decided to dropped the copper back out again.

After pictures, fish and boat cleaning, the 300’ copper was running again! What, you are kidding me… Nope, we lost it, put the rod away, and went home.

The things that I found interesting was, copper was outperforming everything else as the water became calmer. Orange on gold (mag chicken wing) continues to produce fish. In addition, we had a down speed of 3.0 – 3.5 which is what I would have consider way too fast. Finley, my last thought was I had two good hit after cleaning fish. Maybe chumming works, although I do not think it is allowed.

Great report.hope the kings stick around 

• 2 weeks later...

Fished tonight for a couple of hours.Ran into alot of large fish north of portMost were 90 down and had to be kings by the hooks.I had two on and boated a 12 lb laker on green and white spinny and mirage fly.There were a few other boats out along with me.Looks like a early start should be productive tomorrow morning

I'll be out there early with my 10 yr old daughter and her friend from next door.  It will be our neighbor's first time fishing in a boat.  Any fish will be a personal best for her.  My daughter Ashlynn will need one over 16lbs to be her personal best.

John, I was thinking of fishing really shallow early and then moving out a little, but if you were seeing them in 90 I may go there.  They've seemed to be at that depth for the last couple months.

David, we going to see you out there with your dad?

last friday night i went out  alone and saw the best screen of fish in many years.The fish are still around yet to come in till the water cools.I wouldn't give up yet as we wait all year for the fall kings.Im busy the next few days but i plan on getting out friday and next week looks good weather.The NE wind blew some cooler water in to boot.Tonight i made my first batch of honey dipped smoked salmon,can;t get better than that.Keep fishing and don't believe its a bad year,the fish are here and it's going to be a suprise for many.

Went out yesterday  with a friend.Couldnt touch the few fish i saw inside so i went out to 120.Copper 450 was hot with two nice lakers carbon 14 mag..One is in the mid 20"s taking it to the taxidermist today

I also had a revolting development on the way back My motor stalled and then i found I was taking on water,why the motor stalled.I got the water down and restarted the motor.Took it to bear creek as i still dont know why it happened.The CG and firedept. were on there way but I told them I was safe and they went backTook the boat home for a cleaning .

This boat has never given me in trouble in  6 years and is always kept up

Its a 26 searay with a 260 merc ,good bellows solid boat.

Read online maybe exhaust clamps sometimes will losen and do this

Boat will not go back till I get the alarm and seperate high output bildge  installed and of course find the cause of the leak fixed

Thanks to the CG and pultneyville fire dept.for being there

Glad you are safe Jhon. We have had a water issue with our new used boat. It took all summer to find the leek. Found the exhaust and shifter bellow's was cracked along with a deck drain hose was cracked. Now with those fixed no more water in bilge. I agree a second high volume bilge pump is a good idea. Next year I hope to dock the boat now that it is less likely to sink at the dock.

Sent from my XT1064 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

It was a cracked fitting on the wash down pump thankfully,you couldnt see it as the pump was off when we checked the hatch, ,all we could think a bellows blew .I was so strange as i had just turned on the bilge shortly before we ran back.The laker was 23 ilbs 38 innches a pre spawn femal,it's in the shopCould be worse as if we hadnt shut off the pump earlier.Somehow the auto,matic bilge didnt turn on as it usually. does.

I just installed a high output bilge pump myself. Cheap insurance for those small problems that can arise that have potential to be a big problem. I just need to drill a new discharge hole in the side of the boat due to the larger hose size.