Raymarine Sportpilot Problem

jigstick

Ive had the new Evolution 200 Sportpilot installed on my boat for 2 years now, and it has worked awesome.  This past weekend I was out salmon trolling from Olcott all day long, about 12-15hrs of trolling.  Towards the end of the day I noticed that the steering wheel was getting difficult to turn manually when the autopilot was disengaged.  Anybody else with this unit ever hear of this?  The autopilot itself had no problems turning the boat.  It was only when I manually tried to turn the wheel that it got stiff.

Can u describe the clutches to me? Are they metal? Can I fabricate them myself? I'm a machinist and have a lot of equipment at my disposal. I'm not sure if ray marine is still servicing these units

I really think it's inside the autopilot. I let the boat sit over night. And when I went back in the morning it was easier to turn manually. ??? Do you think it will recover? And I shouldn't run it for extended periods like that in the future? Can I order a new clutch somewhere?

Call Raymarine. The guys that repair these things are the best.  I thought I had a problem with mine and they worked with me on the phone while I was out on the lake trolling.  I also sent my computer back to them last winter and they upgraded it for free.

Apparently ray marine customer service has been absolutely terrible lately. Especially in regards to these auto pilot units. But I guess it's worth a try. Where they helping you with this particular drive unit?

Make sure your power steering belt is really tight.  I had the same thing and it was just that the belt loosened up a bit.  The hard turning would come and go depending on how well the belt was gripping at the time.  I tightened up the belt as much as I could my moving the power steering pulley/fill bottle and the boat turns like a dream now 24x7