A couple suggestions: include sufficient details regarding what you are looking to do and where  and perhaps what equipment you already have to use etc. and try using the SEARCH function on here with relevant terms for what you are seeking first and then read the related posts and then ask about things that weren't already answered that you are concerned about.  There is a goldmine of specific information on LOU when folks spend the time looking into it and it then saves others who have already contributed the information from rehashing things. LOU is a wonderful resource.

Edited by Sk8man

My apologies I tried posting from a mobile device and had some technical issues, not realizing that my post was created, I fish the North shore out of whitby and am looking for some advice regarding the distance of leads to run behind your cannonballs and Dipsy's, I currently run two riggers and two Dipsy's, fishing over 80 - 100 ft where I have located a lot of bait and I try to cover anywhere from 30 - 70ft down using a wide variety of baits from f/f , cut bait, spoons , and crankbaits. I have been out almost every weekend since June and have been skunked every time while watching all boats around me contact fish, I've even had fish streak up from bottom to investigate my cannonballs, I know I'm at a proper depth and speed with correct baits, the only thing I can think of is my leads behind the cannonballs and Dipsy's. I try to follow the rule of the deeper you are the shorter the lead and vice versa, and my leads behind the Dipsy's are usually around 6 - 10ft but any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks

Stick to ff on the dipseys and run meat or spoons on the riggers, your leader between flasher and fly should only be a couple feet long, your leader from flasher to meat should be 4-6 feet long depending on the day.

I wouldnt be certain everything is at the right speed if you are not catching anything, keep mixing it up till something works. Some days i troll as fast as 3.5mph down speed and slam fish.

Awesome I appreciate the advice, I do not have a sub troll or device to verify my speed at the riggers but I try to keep the boat between 2 - 3 mph, not sure how much underwater currents affect the speed of bait but I assume the baits would be close to that speed

Jbreeze -

I fish out of Ashbridges on North Shore. (1) If you can try to pick up a speed and temp probe. I was skunked each of my 6 trips my first year. In my second year with a probe I started to catch fish. There can be huge variations between top speed and cannonball speed. (2) similar story on dipsys. First two years 6 or so foot leads and maybe one fish. Couldn't see the value in running them. Then in third year upped my leads to 12 and 15 feet and have caught a bunch of nice fish. I also stopped running colored dipsys and run black ones or a smaller clear plastic one. Some folks run 30' leads and have to hand balm in the line. I am going to try that next year (or maybe end of this season). (3) I tend towards longer leads behind cannonballs. I start at 20 plus feet in morning and on clear days or no waves or if only fishing 30 or so feet below surface I may run leads as much as 75' behind ball.

Other than fishing in arctic waters in May for brown trout (crazy cold) this is year four and I haven't been skunked this year. Lots of tips from folks, went out on their boats, they came out on mine and I observed for the king of kings tourney a few times.

Yeah, speed is really important. Talk to a buddy who has down speed to figure out if there's current. Often times, you can see the current by watching your rigger lines. It takes some getting used to though. As others said, try tracking a charter boat and matching their speed. Just don't get too close and don't fish in their back pocket all morning!

Perhaps the best thing you could do is to take a trip with one of those guys or invite somebody with experience to show you the ropes on your boat.

jbreeze,

I feel your pain, but this is a very good post with great replies.  As a guy in my third year, with limited electronics and no probe, I try and watch the angle on the cannon ball wire(s) to see what works.  Not an exact science, but close.  All the replies you have gotten are right on the money.  Some days you can't do anything wrong and then for the next couple or more, skunked!  It's good to read a lot on this sight, much like I did with this thread.  You/we learn a lot from the experience here.  "Thank-you" :)