Counting the days!

EsoxAC3

As we find ourselves past the midway mark in August I cant help but think about the ice fishing season to come!! We have been spoiled with outstanding ice fishing weather the last 2 winters..... I hope this El Nino doesn't raise hell with the hard water this winter. El Nino aside, still counting the days and ready for hard water!! Be safe and tight lines.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Farmers Almanac released its winter forecast......They predict another very cold winter in our area. Looks like we may luck out with another awesome year of ice fishing!! â„ï¸ðŸŸðŸŽ£ðŸ‘ðŸ»

Hahaha...... I know. What a profession! Get paid to do your job correctly 30% of the time. Its interesting the Almanac forecast contradicts the majority of meteorology professionals. However, The 220+ year old periodical claims 80% accuracy in their long range and winter weather predictions..... Time will tell, I guess. In the mean time, here's hoping!

Edited by EsoxAC3

• 3 months later...

My brother doesn't believe weathermen either. He just retired as a chief meteorologist in San Diego county. Tells me accuweather guys are the worse and probably couldn't find jobs anywhere else. Basically, don't look beyond 5-6 days because it is 50/50 after that.

My brother doesn't believe weathermen either. He just retired as a chief meteorologist in San Diego county. Tells me accuweather guys are the worse and probably couldn't find jobs anywhere else. Basically, don't look beyond 5-6 days because it is 50/50 after that.

That's funny you mention Accuweather.  When we moved to State College, PA, my wife, who has a four year comp sci degree applied for a job with them.  They were offering McDonalds wages for an IT person.  Needless to say, she turned them down.  It doesn't surprise me that they have a bad rap.  The owner, Joel something or other, has a terrible reputation in this town also.

My earliest time fishing was Thanksgiving day at Cuba Lake. Yesterday Lake Erie was 48 degrees surface water temperature at the Port Colborne weather buoy. This might be another year of no ice fishing on Lake Erie. But the "Perfect Storm" for lake effect snow is coming with open water all winter long.

Anyone else getting the itch? I have seen several long term forecasts and it seems like it might be a mild winter with next to no ice? I sure hope not I was looking forward to ice fishing this year as last year I was very limited with my new born arriving Jan. 13th.

With water temps in the forties right now the ice fishing possibilities short term are looking slim at this point.  Unless January is VERY cold the ice may not have a chance to set up. February can always be a question mark temp wise. Another question I have is if the ice does actually form will the season be extended in any way or will it just be a very brief period? Either way I'm getting ready for Plan A or B :lol:

post-145411-0-95447900-1449698984_thumb.jpg

post-145411-0-72414200-1449698995_thumb.jpg

post-145411-0-15702800-1449699537_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sk8man

I sure hope we get ice. I have a ton of new equipment I want to use.

No new equipment but I only used my flasher a handful of times, So I haven't been able to experiment and work with it.

With water temps in the forties right now the ice fishing possibilities short term are looking slim at this point.  Unless January is VERY cold the ice may not have a chance to set up. February can always be a question mark temp wise. Another question I have is if the ice does actually form will the season be extended in any way or will it just be a very brief period? Either way I'm getting ready for Plan A or B :lol:

Looks like you have been ready since July! haha I haven't even gotten my sled out of the shed yet.  :$

My long range weather app says that sustained cold temps are not going to arrive until about Jan 10. We have discussed the reliability of long range weather forecasts but this winter's temps are predicted to be all over the map!!! I am not looking forward to a season of sketchy ice[emoji45]. Looking into floatation I think this year.

Edited by EsoxAC3

This weeks forecast is to be in the 50's and over the weekend in the 60's!! I can't ever remember cutting a Christmas tree in short sleeves, but hey there is a first for everything. This is the second week of deer season and to finish the week near 60*F. I think it was 2011-12 we didn't get a flake of snow, so those 3 year trends might be something to think about?

Ice fishing doesn't look good for quite awhile...50 to 60s again next week...they are saying maybe 60 for Christmas day... Boats still out and have had excellent luck with browns and rainbows in the local creeks...but they all close on the first of year...might be a long winter for us ice fishermen...2 back to back years of jigging Lakers on Keuka and Canandaigua has spoiled some of us...damn was hoping for 3

Sent from my E6782 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Ice fishing doesn't look good for quite awhile...50 to 60s again next week...they are saying maybe 60 for Christmas day... Boats still out and have had excellent luck with browns and rainbows in the local creeks...but they all close on the first of year...might be a long winter for us ice fishermen...2 back to back years of jigging Lakers on Keuka and Canandaigua has spoiled some of us...damn was hoping for 3

Sent from my E6782 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Take the boat and the flasher to Keuka. You can still jig the lakers the same way!

With all this warm weather, how soon till the stores start putting their ice fishing stuff on clearance?  We may be lucky to get out by the end of January.  I'm already planning on taking a row boat out on the day after x-mas.

I'm not saying it isn't going to snow, but it will be a while before we get 4 to 5 inches of safe ice.