Down rigger release styles

Just purchased some by riggers "used". They have rubber band style release.what are you fellows using? Pros cons of different styles? I don't think I want to fiddle around with rubber bands.Also do I want the release above the ball or on the back of the ball, or does it matter ?

I use Blacks.  Above the ball , so the ball can track better.  If you load a rod up with a release of the tail of the weight you maybe steering the weight  This will cause crossed cables on a small boat fishing deep

Chamberlains are my top pick, with 2 ways to adjust tension, you only need one release for all types of fish. I am running the same releases for Browns to salmon. I have had them down 150' pulling big flashers and never a false release.

Capt Rich.

NY Guide Service

Lake Ontario Charters

Salmon River Drift Boat trips

Waterfowl Hunting.

All you do with the Blacks is run your line out to the desired length unlock the metal "arm" and make a few loops in your line and insert it in the arm and close it and adjust the tension on it by twisting the little metal button gizmo  on the side of the release. Pretty simple in practice.

Edited by Sk8man

Twist it six times and insert the loop. Click it shut. Done.

As a side note, we still run Scotty clip releases off the tail of our balls and while we've never gotten tangled, there's a 0.5 mph difference in how the Moor speed probe reads depending on whether there's a rod attached. We compensate for it, but it took a few years to figure out what was going on and why our downspeed was slower than at the surface, even without current. We thought for awhile that it was the calibration on the probe, until we actually looked at the speed after we'd taken a hit. Epiphany!

Like they say, always learning or never learning. It just takes some of us longer  :rofl:

I don't think you're too slow on the draw Keith....most of the rest of us would probably not even have noticed it :lol:

Edited by Sk8man

I started with Roemers back 30 years ago but so did everyone else. Now it's Blacks above the ball and if I'm in the mood to stack I throw the Offshore twins on the cable

Sent from my XT1254 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Chamberlains are my top pick, with 2 ways to adjust tension, you only need one release for all types of fish. I am running the same releases for Browns to salmon. I have had them down 150' pulling big flashers and never a false release.

Capt Rich.

NY Guide Service

Lake Ontario Charters

Salmon River Drift Boat trips

Waterfowl Hunting.

X2

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Twist it six times and insert the loop. Click it shut. Done.

As a side note, we still run Scotty clip releases off the tail of our balls and while we've never gotten tangled, there's a 0.5 mph difference in how the Moor speed probe reads depending on whether there's a rod attached. We compensate for it, but it took a few years to figure out what was going on and why our downspeed was slower than at the surface, even without current. We thought for awhile that it was the calibration on the probe, until we actually looked at the speed after we'd taken a hit. Epiphany!

Like they say, always learning or never learning. It just takes some of us longer  :rofl:

Gator:

What do you think is the cause of this .5 diff? Maybe it changes the angle of the probe when a rod is attached?

I have found with our Moor, once you reach a certain amount of blowback, the readout slows considerably.

i have been downrigging for over 25 years and have tried most of them at least once.

i settled on roemers when they came out many years ago but have switched to Chamberlain stackers

a few years ago and love them, i tried them on my planer board this year and they also work like a charm.

i agree with Cpt Rich Chamberlain all the way!

I started with cannon offshore pinch, clip releases last season and early this one. I think they are terrible because they are difficult to adjust , either to tight or to loose and when using them every week the pads wear out .

We switched to Chamberlin a few weeks ago and they are awesome !!

I also bought a blacks release last week and they seem just as good for 1/2 the price .

From here on out in my trolling I will only use the above 2 releases and ditch all the pinch pad releases

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

On an additional note. I have a pair of Black's on two of my downriggers that have been on there for over 30 years without a problem (same wire too).

• 3 weeks later...