Heeeeeeelp!

master baiter

I thought this may be a great place to start my request for assistance. I am the proud owner of a 1997 mercury 115HP outboard.  This is my link to keeping me sane by allowing me time fishing on the big lake O.  I developed a fuel leak in the split line which runs underneath the attenuator plate on the motor.  Not a big deal right?  I acquired the right piece of fuel line, and began to replace it myself.  My "buddy" up the street has said he would help me, but 2 nights in a row no call no show so I decided I need to proceed on my own.  I am enough of a mechanic to do most things myself but I am in relatively new territory since outboards are not my area of expertise.  Anyway, I removed the attenuator plate and replaced the line without issue, but now I cannot figure out how to put it back together.  The lower carb is angled in such a way that there must be a certain way to reattach that I am not aware of.  (Does the oil tank need to be removed also?) the hell if I know, since I have no repair manual and flying blind.  I am desperate to get this re-assembled to fish this weekend.  Is anyone out there willing to give me some tips on how to do this? Or have an electronic version of a repair manual they could send me?  I'm desperate and alone. Man that sounded desperate.................that is because I really am at this point!  Please help or at the very least offer me your condolences.  I know if I bring it to the shop my season is over, because they are all so booked up this time of year.

Walk away from it for a hour and then go back to it. If you were able to remove the carb you should be able to get it back in. Sometimes frustration makes you miss something small in the big picture.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Look Mercury marine on the internet, they have books and you can also speak with a live tech support. The customer support has helped me out several times and I would consider myself advanced.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

From my experiences with outboard motors because they cram so much in to a little package it's always easyer to take as much off the motor as you can so you can see and get to the parts. Try to avoid removeing anything with gaskets so you don't ruin them and just take pictures of everything step by step so you can remember how it all goes back togeather. If you have to remove the oil tank remove it just put it togeather the same way. Just take your time be maticulus and you should be fine.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I agree that taking pictures before you disassembly any thing is a BIG help.  However that sounds like spilt milk.  What I'd do in this case is go to Iboats.com and ask there, in the mercury section.  There's probably 20 guys there that can guide you through it blindfolded.

Tom B.

(LongLine)