Ruff Rider Live Report Sodus 2015 August 21-23

Wondering if the missed shots were just little aggressive outbursts rather than actual feeding or lure speed maybe a factor? Either way doesn't seem very encouraging out there. I sure hate being relegated to being an "arm chair"i fisherman though :lol:

Edited by Sk8man

Don't think so Les, tried all that s tuff and was 0 for 6 or 7 untill I finally just landed a couple nice steelhead. Loads of fish, but tons of bait also.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

This is the screen I have fished today, and that pic was at 12:30 ! There are pockets of Bait with hooks, but it's too much bait and the fish are feasting. This evening could be epic ? Very soon the waters will be turning red.

post-139833-14403497509221_thumb.jpg

This is the screen I have fished today, and that pic was at 12:30 ! There are pockets of Bait with hooks, but it's too much bait and the fish are feasting. This evening could be epic ? Very soon the waters will be turning red.

We saw the same thing, it looked like fish soup!  Totally maddening seeing them rise off the bottom only to drop back down.

It really is, but I personally love it all the same. I hear a lot of complaining, but the fish are showing up. It's tough competing with all this bait.

It really is, but I personally love it all the same. I hear a lot of complaining, but the fish are showing up. It's tough competing with all this bait.

I can't promise I will stop complaining, but I still think it is all the warm water making them lethargic. Every king we caught this weekend had an empty stomach.

past experience is the best time to fish kings now is late evening.From seven on has always been the best time/

My favorite is to run a small silver horde above and behind a flasher

.Last year we  filled a large  cooler in one pass on Joe Pastores boat from pultneyville to bear.

Looking back meat and michagan flashers took mostof the kings that night

That king in the pic was taken on a silver horde,27 lbs and had 4 lampreys on it

Edited by john1947

Same with all our browns Nick. Maybe that's why we caught them ...haha. I have been marking fish in the bait all day. I think they're just happy there. Lol. No suprised kings have empty bellies the end of Aug though.

Rod, I spent some time reading through past year's mid August reports. 2013 had very similar water conditions and tough inshore fishing. 2012 had much cooler water and much better fishing when we could get out (which wasnt often).

South wind is supposed to blow this week, probably would be a good time to be out!

Oh, forgot to mention... tested the new chinook diver out the last few weekends and I just don't care for them. They do have very little drag when fighting fish, which is their major plus. Their major negative is with a spinny/fly, they run way too shallow. I trolled in the last two days to see where they would hit. Out 250ft, malin wire, spinny fly, it hit at 62ft. Out 300ft, same setup, it hit at 67ft. My dipsey set at 280ft with thicker wire hit at 78ft. Also, I run two wire per side and when using the chinook diver on the stern most rod, it comes up under the forward dipsey EVERY time. I made the decision today to go back to dipseys.

Nick I know current can raise h with dipseys but without much here on Canandaigua the other day I was running my 124 mm Deeper Divers out 160 on a 1 setting and hitting bottom in 84 ft of water at 2.4 I don't think they can be beat for deeper setups. In the past I have hit bottom in 151 ft with a setting of 0 with 350 out at 2.3

Nick, besides the current factors which are really interesting, we lost one when the cable frayed. I will tell you I have lost more lures with these due the fraying the line. I went to a steel leader on the line and that has the coating all chewed up. I'm letting it out slow as well. Wonder if when I trip it its scoring the line when bringing in. Any way I'm thinking of not replacing. Verdict is still out for. Safe travel.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I agree With Les on the deeper divers. They dive deeper. That is what I use on my inside deeper wires. I love them !

Edited by Fishtails

I've used them for about the last three or four years and love them Rod. I seldom use the dozen or more other Luhr Jensen's anymore.

Edited by Sk8man

That's Right Nick...lol. You'd be suprised how much deeper they run. I run Jensen ' s on my high wires because sometimes I will use a mag size ring if I am fishing high in the water column.

hmmm

That's Right Nick...lol. You'd be suprised how much deeper they run. I run Jensen ' s on my high wires because sometimes I will use a mag size ring if I am fishing high in the water column.

So I actually think I have been running a deeper diver on my one rod all of these years.  It was originally a copper color, so I spray painted it black years ago and never thought much about it.  I did notice it was the same size as a dipsey with ring, but never gave it much thought.  I'm looking at the Walker website now and sure enough that's what it is.  I can't say I've really seen a huge difference in depth vs the dipsey with ring though.  Maybe a bit, but I always attributed it to running on the one rod with malin wire which is thinner than my other wire.

Speaking of malin wire.  Fleas are back.  They were starting to build up on the malin wire.  My thicker wire on the other rods was still pretty clean.  They were starting to show up on swivels again too.  For those coming up for the LOC, make sure you have 30lb test on your rigger rods and wire on your dipseys!