SOS --- "save our skippers"

This is for the derby anglers who havent fished/don't fish much the rest of the season.  There is an enormous crop of 5 month old(since planted) and 1 1/2 yr old King Salmon all over the lake. The reasons why adult numbers have been down the last 2 seasons is for another post. For this one lets concentrate on these valuable "up and comers".  

For most of the full time operator charter captains, these fish get returned to the lake as gently as possible--it's just good business sense. Every season we land adult salmon with mangled jaws that healed up and survived--and make someones day or fishing life. If you plan to fish alot the next 2 weeks, there can be days in several locations where you will encounter 10+ a day. Do the math- with all the boats plying the waters looking for that elusive out-sized 4 yr old many thousands of these will be handled. Most likely a few will be mortally wounded and theres the few that should be kept for table fare, the rest will grow 700 to 1000 percent in a year. They experience the biggest percentage of growth between year 1 and 2 so it just makes sense for the fishery. Also, for their welfare and the success of your outing lines should be checked much more often when they are around in big numbers. If they are dragging for too long they will drown and then releasing is not an option. For those not familiar these fish will usually be under 20 inches at this time.

Good luck out there and be safe!

Great info Vince! If it's wounded badly, which happens a lot with these little ones under 20 inches, because they are just so voracious about a meal. Quite often engulfing a fly and injuring delicate gils. If that happens...box it if over 15 inches. Don't throw it back to become seagull food. Yup..you'll loose 1 chance for a mature, but its good eating and ethical. The rest can be revived by the boat or in a live well circulation. Even a cooler with some water and maybe a little ice with it. Take his picture, change his diaper and send him home!

Good idea, better tell the rest of the charters about SOS. It's sad but I see charters keeping small fish all the time. Ask the fish cleaners how much they see it. Maybe the size limit should be raised on Chinooks. Just saying

Good idea, better tell the rest of the charters about SOS. It's sad but I see charters keeping small fish all the time. Ask the fish cleaners how much they see it. Maybe the size limit should be raised on Chinooks. Just saying

On one hand I agree, especially when it is a salmon that can grow potentially 800% larger in its second year. On the other hand if the size were raised to that of an Atlantic salmon, 25 inches, I'm sure it would lead to way more mortally wounded kings being discarded in favor of getting a ticket for undersized fish. Those fish would be better on the grill. A 15 inch salmon has a nice fillet and is very palletable. I think it's about right. Michigan let's ya have a 10 inch salmon. A little skimpy for a meal.

A livewell is fine Mark but that looks more like a porcelain throne!

Probably a good reason why you should never eat any thing that came from it!...it does look kinda like a truckstop dumper:o..green scum and brown stains...should get the tidy bowl man in there with his boat. I can see him now...miniature downriggers trying for that king!