lake ontario smallies

john1947

I wonder how they are doing in Webster from Shipbuilders creek to Hedges. It would be great if they are coming back. Smallmouth are still doing good in Lake Erie and Niagara River. I don't think they ever had the problem there. I think eastern Lake Ontario never had the problem as bad either.

It used to be a blast catching them before they crashed. I had to switch from hair jig with worm to tube jig (dark brown and green colors) when the gobies became a problem. Also used to do pretty good trolling crank baits. White plastic grubs (3 or 4 inch) used to kill them at times. They would be stacked up in shallow when the lake turned over. Catch rate of 20/hr or more at times.

John1947 that is really good to hear. I have had the opposite luck in the Hamlin/ Hilton area. what part of the lake are you fishing? I haven't gone for any smallies in a few weeks now because I just can't seem to catch one in the lake anymore

Sent from my VS985 4G using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I haven't fished for smallies in the lake in probably 15 years since I was a real youngin' but those were some of my fondest fishing memories. Fish after fish with a worm, hook and weight.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• 2 weeks later...

are the smallies still hitting going up the end of september to give it a shot? Staying in selkerk shores.

Just got back last night from a week in Fair Haven   and  had 2 days to fish the bluff just coming out of little sodas bay, we were fishing the suggested 24 to 30 foot depth and on our first drift  we hooked up with 5 large smallies, lost 2 big ones. (they popped the line), 2 more drifts and we caught 4 more.. we were drifting live shiner's.

Just got back last night from a week in Fair Haven and had 2 days to fish the bluff just coming out of little sodas bay, we were fishing the suggested 24 to 30 foot depth and on our first drift we hooked up with 5 large smallies, lost 2 big ones. (they popped the line), 2 more drifts and we caught 4 more.. we were drifting live shiner's.

Are you drop shotting the shiners? I fished a bit further east of those bluffs a couple weeks ago starting in about 23 FOW and drifting into 15 and boated about 7 smallies in a couple hours of assorted sizes, biggest in the 3lb range. I was using soft shells, first time using live bait in years since I've lately been an "artificial bait only" snob, and also the first time in probably 15 years fishing the lake. The drift was a bit fast but it seemed to produce just fine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• 2 months later...

Little sodus bay was loaded with smallies this a.m.. I tried perch fishing and gave it up. I was having too much fun. The whole west side from 80 yards N. Of grass island all the way to meadow cove. Most were suspended 1/2 way down between 10 & 20 fow. Took off the perch minnow rig for a mepps spinner. My glove has bass thumb.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Try deeper, get your soft shells or rubber claws, and drag a concrete coffee can or mushroom anchor on the drift. That's my last go resort when it's tough. Stir up that bottom. Been a tough summer for smalls. I've been skunked a few times this year too. I'm very tan though pulling gamblers around for Lakers. They bite still.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Lake Ontario United mobile app