Second battery and downriggers

Hey guys, I'd like to hear your thoughts on having a second battery for running two Cannon Mag 5's. I certainly understand it's best practice but hear me out. I have what you might say is a non conventional fishing boat. It's a Sea Ray open bow run about and I have looked in every nook and cranny for a good spot for a second battery. There simply isn't one. I just bought 2 Mag 5's and I'm wondering how much of an issue it's going to be to run them on my only battery. My thoughts are that I'm trolling and the engine should be charging the battery but I'm not sure if the riggers will be over the top for what my boat puts out for amperage. Anyone hear any horror stories running this configuration?

Just recently I was VERY glad I had a second battery  when an apparently loose connection someplace seemed as though my main battery was dead. The middle of the lake is not a great place to sort out battery problems and in many areas towing is unavailable......something to think about. I think I would consider creating a place for a second battery if it were me.

Edited by Sk8man

Hey guys, I'd like to hear your thoughts on having a second battery for running two Cannon Mag 5's. I certainly understand it's best practice but hear me out. I have what you might say is a non conventional fishing boat. It's a Sea Ray open bow run about and I have looked in every nook and cranny for a good spot for a second battery. There simply isn't one. I just bought 2 Mag 5's and I'm wondering how much of an issue it's going to be to run them on my only battery. My thoughts are that I'm trolling and the engine should be charging the battery but I'm not sure if the riggers will be over the top for what my boat puts out for amperage. Anyone hear any horror stories running this configuration?

I run two mag 10s and the depth finder and motor off one battery, no problem. ( yet). I also have second bat. for bowmount motor not charging off motor. I troll with main motor so bat is allways being charged. Put a car boster bat. in the boat when you go out. Good luck.

Last year my perco switch was placed on the wrong setting, my battery which handles my electronics of course ran down and was useless. By the time I figured it out it was to late, my main motor would not turn over. Not ahuge problem, but a large storm was comming fast. My 9.9 kicker saved my butt!  So needless to say, 2 batteries is a must if I  could I would run 3 if it was possible on my rig, If you think about what electronics you run all at once, it  will be a no brainer. (riggers,stereo, FF, Fishhawk, GPS, Bildge, ) etc      Goodluck

Second battery is not a necessity BUT..it's piece of mind. I always run one deep cycle 24 series battery for everything, and it doesn't get charged by my kicker. However the second battery is there to start the big motor in a pinch.

Three scotties, separate navigation and sounders, fish hawk, vhf, positive ion box, wash down pump for hours running without issue.

That said, I always make sure the batteries are fully charged before heading out on next trip. Also the as mentioned piece of mind second battery and switch are always there in case battery failure happens.

I'd find a way for your second battery just so you feel better. You obviously have concern by asking about it. Do your best to ease your mind and enjoy the day of fishing without worrying about getting in a tough situation.

Have a carry on battery group 24 deep cycle as much amp hour reserve as you can get. Put a couple plug leads on the terminals so you can hook up your specific electronic equipment to it. Even of its not mounted, it's better than none. Secure it with a buckle strap to the deck someplace. Bungee cords are not enough when pounding waves.

Good luck with it. Hope this helps.

Mark

Good suggestion :yes:  They make both an automotive and marine version of the jumper pack by the way. They also make combination deep cycle /starting batteries.... I have one and run my electronics and downriggers straight off it and seldom have to charge it. I have a battery condition monitoring indicator on it too which makes it easier to tell the condition.

Great ideas gentleman! My interest has swayed toward this type of fishing and my hopes are that by next season or the next I have a boat better suited for this type of fishing. What I have is getting me by but I'm getting tired of being blown off the lake by average waves and not being able to set up my boat exactly the way I'd like. I'll have to figure out somewhere to put it. I can't have you guys say "I told you so". Thanks again ! !

What if you keep your second battery on a trickle charger at home and bring it with you.  Place it on the floor in the bow, unhooked.  It will provide bow weight to get you on plane faster and you will have it as a backup.  I've had mixed results with jumpers in the past, and would prefer to have a second battery aboard that I could swap out in a pinch.  (That being said, make sure you have the correct tools to change the battery out as well).

I also use only one of my two 12 volt trolling motor batteries wired in series for 24 volts to run four riggers, FF, FH, VHF and TrollMaster. That way I can run 12 volt electronics and get only 12 volts to them from a 24 volt system. I have the four riggers fused at the battery with terminal fuse holders and ran 6 guage wire, also fused terminally with a 100 amp fuse, to a separate fuse panel I just installed, exclusively for those things drawing electricty when trolling and not charging the cranking battery. I hope I did it right and it's still a work in progress as I'm waiting for my S-i-L to crimp the battery lugs to the cable. I also took a wire brush and some dialectric grease to all the connections. Then I just plug the onboard charger in when I get home and don't have to worry about the boat starting after a long day trolling. I think I got it right but any and all suggestions are always welcome.

post-151648-0-84667900-1440421512_thumb.jpg

post-151648-0-69477400-1440421535_thumb.jpg