Motor Prop Question

Luck E Spoon

Sorry to tell you but there's no " getting more HP" better performance from your motor ..... yes.

As Sea Iv said what's your motor, what are you running now, pitch wise. What's WOT currently, (wide open throttle). Manufactures recommended top RPM.

There a lot of variables that go into the "perfect" prop and some sacrifices that might be made to achieve what your looking for

Sent from my XT1254 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

4 blade will only allow for less "slip" and most likely make your boat slower from added resistance in the water. A good 3 blade stainless will give you top performance out of your motor. Make sure you get the correct pitch before buying a stainless prop they are not cheap.

Sent from my thinking chair...

Edited by Chas0218

A lighter wallet and damage to your lower unit when you strike a hard rock. Aluminum props are softer and do a good job with only a small loss of speed.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

When you trim or for that matter take off (hole shot) the prop blades deflect. To some degree that changes the pitch and affects the performance of the prop.

With SS the change is minimal and thus performance is greater,

While under way trimming a prop the load will again distort the prop and way it performs.

It took me 3 tries to "dial in" my ideal prop. A 4 blade SS OMC Renegade for my 19' Lund

Lund SSS,

What motor are you running on your Lund? I have an 05 prov 19' ifs and thinking of switching to a 4 blade prop for better hole shot and quicker time on plane when full of gear and people. I have a Yamaha f150 and 19" pitch prop and it takes a long time to get on plane ... Especially on the Great Lakes when it's choppy out. Heard you have to down size a pitch or two when switching to a 4 blade.

Sorry for the delayed response, I'm running a 2009 Evinrude ETEC HO, prop shaft is rated @ 173 hp. I'm running a 4 blade 19" OMC prop. Used to have a 3 blade 21" and there night/day in handling.

Now I might add 4stroke and my ETEC are different beast's altogether. My boat will jump on plane or for that matter jump out of the water if you smash the throttle.