The Trench, Henderson 8/22 & 8/23

8/22 Started out in front of the High rocks and headed toward the Lighthouse in 119 fow at 6 am.  No sooner I got the first rigger down which was set at 91 I turned around to drop the next and it was fish on.  We landed that one which came on the 11 inch e-chip, yellow/ glow/lead back with an atomic ultra green glow 36 inches behind the paddle.  That fish was a nice teenager and silver.  We caught a second fish same setup at 7 am that was a nice hen 24 lbs. and silver.  Our third and last fish came on the wire diver out 257 set at 2 1/2  with a Marv's Big fatty and a Pole Dancer that Big Weenie makes.  By 7:50 am our action would stop and we finished 3 for 3 with the last fish being a male weighing 25 lbs.  All in all a good morning, back at the cottage before noon.

8/23 Sunday:  repeat of Saturday on the rigger, only difference was the two bites came at 101 down.  The rigger bite died again so I put the big paddle out on the diver and took number three out 257 again set at 3.   Finished the morning 3 for 3 again.  All nice matures 24, 24, and 26 lbs.  Two hens and one male.  Fish were darker today but not black.  Also had a whitefish hit the rigger.

Blessed and grateful with a nice weekend.  Not a great screen in the trench.  Water is warm warm warm.  Fish are warm, rigger balls are warm when you bring them up and the fish are gassed quick with not a lot of fight.  Two out of the six fought hard and those were the smaller fish.  My opinion is the few fish that are present are there out of obligation and not due to ideal conditions for them.  We did not see more than a dozen fish netted in two days and the boat traffic was busy.  The charters out of the Harbor are struggling as well with putting kings in the box.  We all stay hopeful it improves any day now.  Tough fishing on the east end for kings right now.  Good luck out there.

We did not have a speed and temp available but other boats said it was from 75 to 105 and changing all the time.  Just not stable with all the winds we have been getting.  One of my friends went out today and the whole fleet out of Henderson did not do well.  A hand full of kings and some lakers out of more than a dozen boats.  I was told by the end of the day it was warm all the way to the bottom in 115 fow.  I will not be back out until labor day weekend so keep the info coming and good fishing.

The week before this area was loaded with baitfish and a pretty good bite- we couldn't find the baitfish on the 23rd in the afternoon and were only able to get one small king- congrats on getting the early a.m. bite.  No fleas at all- very nice.