nine mile/Mexico bay -new thread

I was in Mexico Bay a week ago and I was targeting browns.  52 degrees was down about 90 feet.  I only had one release and I was able to get the huge brown to the back of the boat.  As I went to net it, it just drifted away.  I never noticed how it was hooked, but it must have been hanging by a tread.  It had to be in the 19 pound range.  

Because of a recent thread on this forum, I just checked my downrigger cable counters.  Two of them were in sync at 104 feet, one was 93 feet, and the forth was 112 feet.  So when I hooked that brown, I thought that I had all (3) downriggers at about 90 feet, because the thermocline was very specific.  Another 3 feet down and I was at 47 degrees.  Come to find out, the big brown hit on the rigger that was probably down around 100 feet, well below where I would have thought, but very close to the bottom.  

So check your downrigger cable counters.  The other thing that I recently saw on this forum was a comment from a charter captain, it might have been captain Rich.  I think he was saying, shut off your temperature probe..........spread out your lures beyond the thermocline where you think you should be targeting.  Food for thought.

What is the easiest way to check your cable counter? The line counter on my reels never match my down rigger cabe counter( when I subtract how much line is behind the ball)  Also I would add check your cable for kinks. I almost lost a 12lb ball because the cable got kinked and frayed pretty quick!! Thanks in advance!

Rigger counter should be at "000" when it's up. Your reels/line out will never match the rigger because more line than cable is out due to bellying of the line from the pole.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Bottom feeder. How fast do you go with your meat rigs?? I have been running meat all weak with no hits( my first time running it). I have been running it at 2.0 to 2.3 I must be doing something wrong. All our fish have been on flies and spoons.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Went out this morning in 4' rollers out of Little Salmon, headed toward the high rocks like the rest of the week. Started the troll in 90' FOW toward the plant fish 1 was 18lbs off rigger at 77' with green spot 8" echip and white atomik fly. Fish 2 was 25.5 king caught on same flasher but with green glow fly on dipsy 325' out.

So 2 for 2 then the crew started to turn green. Ended the day at 12:30. Our fish is on the leaderboard in last place but who cares! Finally we're starting to move rods. Hopefully the lake lays down a little. Few more days of vacation left.

Steve

KJ Louise

1 for 2 this morning. Only marked 4 fish in 7 hours of trolling. Our 1 King in 111 feet, 19 pounder. King of sting spoon. We dropped another fish on 120 feet on flasher and fly. Very slow, not many hooking up around us. Saw one fish landed on another boat. I hope there are more fish waiting to come in. Checked the river in the estuary and town pool. Nothing. We did see 5 kings in the hatchery race way.

Yeah I had a bend in it. Slow rotation. Just not many fish around. I have been fishing this same week for 12 years in a row and this is by far the worst week. Everybody is only getting a couple here and there. My Sonar screen is void of fish. I did way better back in July. It's got the makings of another bad salmon run this fall.

Pick up another one today, 77' down 7 back on white on White spin doc with halo fly. The waves built to a steady 6' plus rain. Still beats work thopost-154638-14406265102954_thumb.jpg