SAVE clipped salmon heads

The pen rearing/fin clipped salmon study is coming to a end.. {2016 study will be on coho} Any salmon having an adipose fin clip has coded wire tag in it's snout. PLEASE save snout/head only. Lake Ontario United( LOU=everyone on this site)... purchased a freezer for US Fish and Wild life to help with this study. The freezer is located off lake Ontario state parkway near Sandy Creek, Hamlin NY. I AM WILLING to pick up fish heads from Irondequoite Bay west to Oak Orchard  if needed. With all the time and effort put into the pen rearing projects LAKEWIDE, the retuning data is MINIMAL at best. Lack of data (returned wire tags) does not help with future salmon stocking numbers, especially in our fish pens. With less data to compare to pen survival rates verses direct stocked or percent of pen reared to wild salmon numbers returning in lake. ETC. This collection will go on right threw fall stream season. Please make an effort if you can to not let years of fin clipped/tagged salmon and pen rearing project efforts lakewide go unrewarded and info not to be FULLY utilized.

PM me any questions as you can drop fish heads off yourself any day/anytime also at freezer location.

Thanks

Capt. Jerry

REBEL FISHING CHARTERS

Mark, Freezer is actually at my house/property. Accessible 24 hours ---7 days.. with enuff room to turn a boat trailer around.... NO EXCUSES to not drop off clipped/tagged salmon  or lake trout snouts also. 

Vince,  I do not believe people understand how important it is to utilize the efforts of the pen rearing projects on this lake. Without many returned PEN REARED salmon tags..... there is less factual  argument on future pen rearing programs and over all stock numbers.. Government is looking for ways to change criteria ; SEE BOW HUNTING SEASON 2015 fall first 2 weeks of bow season  regulations.......SEE % amount of "natural" salmon in Lake Ontario (less tag numbers of pen reared salmon captured mean higher % number the naturals in the lake totals =====less stocking  numbers...SIMPLE MATH .......I talk to the government "head hunters" -----meet with them---work with them......hang out with them-----buy/pick up freezer for them.

Reelpower... this pick up effort will continue in the fall when more salmon will be more accessible ....Most private PM's I am getting are from the stream fisherman willing to give salmon snouts and  info needed on size/length/dates ETC..

Capt.. Jerry

REBEL FISHING CHARTERS

Edited by RUNNIN REBEL

I just learned from a friend and captain.. there is also a freezer at the Oak (point breeze) at the dock at Lake Breeze Marina near the little Cafe. It is located at the water on the north side of the launch at the Marina.

Word is that the DEC is picking up heads there also. Put the heads from fin clipped salmon or lake trout in a bag and deposit it there. I would ask for more details at the marina since I have not been down there yet to know first hand.

Mark

Edited by skipper19

I'm actually witnessing some guys from the other side of the harbor in Olcott taking the time to put clipped Salmon heads in freezer by town marina cleaning table. It's free, and the pen project you help justify may be your own!    Limitman, the clip is super easy to look for--its the lack of an adipose fin(the tiny fin/appendage that is normally directly in front of the tail-on top. No  one is suggesting killing a Salmon just for this data, but if its a mortally hooked fish or a fish for your dinner table then the collectors want it.  Thx!

Edited by Capt Vince Pierleoni

What part of the snout? I save the heads now for some of my Chinese coworkers.

Well it migrates from the tip of the nose back as the fish matures. Generally it is just a bit forward of the eyes in the middle of the skull. I would say chop it right behind the eyes.

Well it migrates from the tip of the nose back as the fish matures. Generally it is just a bit forward of the eyes in the middle of the skull. I would say chop it right behind the eyes.

Just got to thinking:unsure:...how many of these salmon heads might have gone into Mee Hoon soup that had microchips in them

Should the Dec scan your co workers:huh::D

Do all the stocked kings have clipped adipose fins?  Are all kings with adipose fins wild?  I wish I knew this before, I would would have paid attention to the fins.  I will now for sure!

yes and currently only the 2 year olds and four years olds.