Scents

I am sure this topic has been on hear before. Out fishing the other day and snagged an alewife. Ripped into this guy and basically smeared my nk mag with it. 10 min later king on. This has got me thinking I should do this on a regular basis. I am wondering if anyone does this or has tried it before?

Ironically, I was just going to post something regarding scents right now and as I was browsing topics I saw this.  I was going to ask if artificial scents work or not.  I bought this stuff called "Lunker Lure" specifically for salmon a few years back for the fall stream runs before I began trolling but never really used it.  Now that I am on the lake trolling my son who found this in my tackle box keeps bugging me to use it on all our spoons. Has anyone had any luck with any artificial lure?  And if real scents work as well as mentioned above I wonder why there isn't more talk about it on here when guys post reports. I would think more reports would look like: "went 10 for 12 today, NBK smeared with alewife scent was the hot lure today" or is it just common knowledge that I wasn't up to speed on?  Makes sense to me that a fish would smack a spoon much sooner while following it trying to figure out if it's a valid dinner if it smelled more like dinner.