VERY ODD

It's really odd to look at the LOC Salmon leaderboard & not see 1 salmon from the Niagara to Olcott area registered. I think that has to be a 1st. I know that that during the fall derby the East end usually produces a good bit of the derby salmon. But for not 1 western end salmon to be registered seems odd.

For some it's hard. I gets calls and pics daily from friends at the east end and they are putting the smack down of the kings and it keeps getting better and better. I will find out tomorrow gonna be doing a 3 day stint out in front here. I know there are fish but where are the majors.

For some it's hard. I gets calls and pics daily from friends at the east end and they are putting the smack down of the kings and it keeps getting better and better. I will find out tomorrow gonna be doing a 3 day stint out in front here. I know there are fish but where are the majors.

I will prolly catch some heat for this but a wise man once told me the Kings live on the western end of Ontario and go and die on the eastern end but besides spring it hasn't been the case this yr. Tough bite on the western end with some fairly good days on the eastern end

With the pen rearing going on at many different ports it would seem as though that the attraction towards the East end would be dwindling some, unless that many more fish are pen reared in that part of the lake. Makes sense that if equal pen reared amounts where released at each port that the amount of fish available would be equal, The fish are homing in on their birth water, there is no other reason for them to be attracted to the East end.

Edited by Tony G

The pen projects are saving us in the west. The number held in pens needs to be increased substantially however.  Intelligent angling pressure, bird predation, and warm water predators on the direct stocked fingerlings has caught up to the west end and taken its toll. The lake is currently under populated with pelagic predators to control the burgeoning adult alewife population. Even the finest trolling programs are less effective when trying to pull fish out of mind boggling schools of alewives. The exploding adult alewife population is creating biological problems for the fishery--preying on and displacing the emerald shiners and yoy(young of the year) alewives. These smaller baifish help young trout and salmon flourish. 

The east end is bolstered in the fall as most of the naturally produced Kings come from the Salmon river system. Ever since the Altmar hatchery became the only rearing facility for Pacific Salmon planted in Lake Ontario, west end returns have suffered. 

Some speculate that it is not the location of facilty but the size of fingerlings that come out of there in early Spring--a size so small many biologists agree that survival of the direct stocked is minimal at best.

With the pen rearing going on at many different ports it would seem as though that the attraction towards the East end would be dwindling some, unless that many more fish a pen reared in that part of the lake. Makes sense that if equal pen reared amounts where released at each port that the amount of fish available would be equal, The fish are homing in on their birth water, there is no other reason for them to be attracted to the East end.

Don't forget, there's not a 100% return rate on these pen fish