Lake Champlain

I read today that Vermont stocked muskies this week in lake Champlain. So i googled it and learned muskies were wiped out there by a chemical spill in the 70's. Also they have been stocking muskie there since 2008;though in small numbers for that much water. I doubt i'll live long enough to see good muskie fishing there but it's good to see some stocking effort in a big water. My kids and grandkids will hopefully see some good action there.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Oldman,Those muskie fingerlings have been coming from the Prendergast NYSDEC Hatchery at Chautauqua, they are the excess after the ponds are filled with muskie fingerlings to feed on fathead minnows for extra growth for stocking NY Inland waters.I believe they go from the inside tanks from being fed pellets directly by truck to be stocked,so they have not even learned how to feed on minnows,not good for chances of survival.

Maybe Vermont puts them in a pond and feeds them minnows for a while before they release them.  Supposedly they are stocking in two tributaries that flow into Lake Champlain.

Also New York State has been stocking them in the great Chazy River. I think since about 2005. There are some 40" class fish being caught there now.

Somehow Champlain connects with the St Lawrence so Im surprised some didnt find there way in there. Im surprised they would mix up the strains and stock it too. There should be some natural ones in there, there always was, just didnt hear much about them in a awhile. If my memory serves me correct, they used to have a spotted variety in there about 15-20 yrs ago or so. Like to see it come back. Maybe Champs eating them all. Ha.