Ruff Rider Live Report Sodus 2015 Aug 28 - Sep 7

I think it is time to try the torpedo wire... This cable was brand new a couple of weeks ago.

heard good & bad with the torpedo wire & antenna.  cable breaking & losing everything.  ultimately i think a fish hawk is the only cure.  search here for discussion...

heard good & bad with the torpedo wire & antenna. cable breaking & losing everything. ultimately i think a fish hawk is the only cure. search here for discussion...

I thought I read the breaking issue was early on and they changed something to prevent that?

Deff look at the X4 or X4d Nick, one of the best investments I made. I ran the raider for 4 years, dealing with exactly what you are, made the switch and never looked back. Good Luck this weekend.

Capt Rich

NY Guide Service

Lake Ontario Charters

Salmon River Drift Boat trips

Waterfowl Hunting.

Batteries can go pretty quick on the probe. Make sure there is no water in there as well. We use vaseline on the probe threads to keep water out. I'm sure you've been there, done that. I reverse the cable on the rigger, unspool and spool from the other end when cable gets worn then replace as needed.

I fished near Nick and Theresa for a while this morning and believe me they EARNED their fish. It was very slow and Mark and I had only 2 hits from 7:30 AM till 3PM with 6 rods out. One unbuttoned on the wire and the other is probably now living in Oswego with our spoon after nearly spooling us on the 350 copper and snapping the fluoro leader. The high point of the day was chatting with Nick and Theresa at Arney's afterward :)

I fished near Nick and Theresa for a while this morning and believe me they EARNED their fish. It was very slow and Mark and I had only 2 hits from 7:30 AM till 3PM with 6 rods out. One unbuttoned on the wire and the other is probably now living in Oswego with our spoon after nearly spooling us on the 350 copper and snapping the fluoro leader. The high point of the day was chatting with Nick and Theresa at Arney's afterward :)

How much backing on your 350 copper Les?

Les it was a pleasure meeting you today! Sorry I didn't talk longer, but after being in the sun all day, all I wanted to do was crawl into the boat and bask in the AC!

Storm front coming through in the morning, maybe that will help turn the fish on! Two boats I talked to that went out tonight, one did two kings in 130fow, the other never moved a rod. Kinda how the story has been all week.

Oh no....I was hoping nobody would ask that :lol:  well it was a lesson  and although I knew better... I took one of my rigs that I use on the Finger Lakes with 150 yds of 50 lb Power Pro Spectra as backing for the 30 lb copper. I thought I could get away with it  but with 6 rods out  (including two coppers) it is a lot different than the old days with just a few rods to clear if you had to and it was rough water besides going into the waves so you are stuck with what you have out.....therein lies the problem for those of you who haven't "been there done that" when you have a few hundred yards of mono on a downrigger reel and even 100 ft out it is VERY different than  having out 350 ft ( or 600 for some) of copper out already and then you rely on the backing on your reel for whatever the fish decides to run with. This particular king took line and never stopped (at all) When my son said "hey dad I can see the metal on the spool" I tried to put on the brakes a bit for him and at that instant the (lighter than I should have had 20 lb fluoro leader snapped like thread. Ys I was the guy who a little while back said on here "I've never been spooled even with 12 lb line" but that was based on a high capacity downrigger reel and being able to take up lines quickly if necessary and use the boat as a weapon. . All these problems came together in seconds and a fast becoming zero line with a very angry fish on the other end of that line is a bit unnerving and forms the basis of an instant education about what to do next time :lol: Pay attention to the Boy Scout motto: Be Prepared

Edited by Sk8man

Really starting to hate my depthraider. Worked great for the first hour with a wet paper towel on the antenna. Now it won't work down even 50ft.

Screw that coated cable! Had it some people say they're more accurate then the fish hawk but frigg that, had it for a year then never looked back after I installed my fish hawk. It may not be as accurate but consistency and operational I'll take every trip.

Thanks for updates. 2 more days for me! Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United