Ruff Rider Live Report Sodus 2015 Aug 28 - Sep 7

I was stopped between Fair Haven and Oswego by 2 jetski YES jetski coast guards. Full spread of 3 riggers 2 dipsey and 2 coppers out.......... I passed but my first reaction when seeing 2 skis flying at me in 150 FOW was like WTH are these idiots doing not knowing it was the guard

'Bout Time

Mike

We've been fishing the Salmon River area and while we haven't lit the place on fire, we have generated double digit bites each trip and 3 LOC fish so far - had a real nice box yesterday (28.14 LOC, 26, 22, 18 lb kings and 8, 12 lb coho) going 6 for 10. Hitting it one more time tomorrow to see if we can boat a Tyee this year! When targeting staging kings we use predominantly Rrrred echips with Hypnotist flies as the red color agitates them and they hit out of aggression. Coho's love this rig too so we usually will pick up a few of those in the mix as a bonus, especially when run higher in the water column. Some other rigs that can often produce hits: Chaquita boards with Packer flies, white with green dots boards with ultra green glow flies early, J-plugs, and bright colored mag spoons (mixed veggies, anti-freeze, Hawg Wild). Just some food for thought...

Are you running the red chips with no stickers? I have a stock one with the chrome waffle on one side and glow on the other. It's been a dead horse every time I run it.

We were out there with you this morning. Did a quick trip from 6-11. We went 5 for 5, all kings. 3 teenagers and 2 majors, including the one pictured below. I hope we didn't flush $500. It read just over 28 on my scale. It was still pretty spunky so we released it with the others. All fish caught above temp. 50' rigger with mag Sea-Sick Waddler was best. 130' to 180'. Good luck to all.

post-139599-0-09584800-1441472286_thumb.jpg

Are you running the red chips with no stickers? I have a stock one with the chrome waffle on one side and glow on the other. It's been a dead horse every time I run it.

It's called a Hot Tamale Stinger Echip, whole board is red with one large yellow prism eye on it. Got them at Screwy Louie's a couple years ago, pretty sure they still have them... although probably not for long after this post!! LOL!!

Here is the board with our 26 lb'er from yesterday:

Rrred%20Board_zpszthflmw9.jpeg

The 28.14 LOC fish was also caught on this rig. 

Edited by Finders Keepers

It's called a Hot Tamale Stinger Echip, whole board is red with one large yellow prism eye on it. Got them at Screwy Louie's a couple years ago, pretty sure they still have them... although probably not for long after this post!! LOL!!

Here is the board with our 26 lb'er from yesterday:

Rrred%20Board_zpszthflmw9.jpeg

Gotcha! Thanks!!

That's it, was just gonna say not red as we think of in more traditional color tones, but a bright orange red.

That's a rig I love to run on my thumper rod down the chute late in the season. It's a killer !

Sent from my SM-G900V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

We were out there with you this morning. Did a quick trip from 6-11. We went 5 for 5, all kings. 3 teenagers and 2 majors, including the one pictured below. I hope we didn't flush $500. It read just over 28 on my scale. It was still pretty spunky so we released it with the others. All fish caught above temp. 50' rigger with mag Sea-Sick Waddler was best. 130' to 180'. Good luck to all.

27 lb'er is the largest weighed in so far today...

Well that was an experience!

I have never been boarded by the Coast Guard up here, while out on the lake in 170fow with 1-2s. I was nervous as hell, not because I had anything wrong, but for their safety and ours!

They headed towards us and when they were about 50yds away the dipsey on their side started screaming. I grabbed the rod and the coast guard pulled along side of us and asked me to pull in my planer board and copper line. I politely asked if they could let me fight the fish first and they said sure no problem!

They jetted off to Tackle Buster to board them. We fought the fish and landed a nice king. I went to put the net away and next thing I knew there was a rod in my hand... Wtf? I was really confused as to what happened... turns out, the net hit the leadcore line that was out on the board and pulled the rod out of my rocket launcher. By some small miracle it literally fell into my open hand that was reaching to grab the net netting. Had it been an inch in any other direction it would have gone into the lake!

We hailed the Coast Guard and they headed back over to board us. They had a heck of a time getting on and ended up boarding the nose of the boat and walking down. They checked for life jackets, flares, whistle, distress flag, blower working, macerator closed and zip tied, bathroom check, and license and registration. My newest registration we realized was back at dock in the glove box of the car, but they let us ofd with just a warning. They were extremely nice and we chatted about fishing and the Salmon Slam they were involved with most of the time. They deboarded and that was nearly a disaster as their stern piping grabbed my probe rigger cable as they tried to drive away!!! I screamed, much like a teenage girl at a Beiber concert, and they quickly adjusted and got the cable undone. I was amazed it didn't break! They apologized and went on their way.

We took a deep breath, pulled lines, and headed in.

A stressful experience, but they acted extremely prodessionally and were extremely nice. That being said, the first thing I plan to do next year is have the Auxillary Coast Guard inspect my boat and give me a "passed" sticker so that I do not have to go through the hassle next year.

I would assume the miracle rod catch incident is captured on the GoPro?

No :( The battery needed to be switched and I got lazy. I would have loved to have replayed that along with the coast guard boarding.

We did get the bat from the other day along with me dropping a dodger/fly overboard and getting it back! Ill post that sooner or later.

Edited by Ruff Rider