Ruff Rider Live Report Sodus 2015 Aug 28 - Sep 7

Sorry to hear that Nick !! That sux but that chit happens to us who don't live life in the easy chair with the remote in our hands.  My season ended similar last weekend when I busted up my high speed fairing block loading the boat on the trailer myself.

Good luck with repairs. Hope it's not anything serious.

Well, tried lowering the outdrive at the dock this morning, no luck. Don from Viking was a great guy and helped us get the trailer and pull the boat. The speedometer tube was hanging and I couldnt get it back in, but we will deal with that during winterization. I had Theresa raise the outdrive to see if anything was jammed, nothing. So she started lowering it to see where it stopped... and nothing... the damn thing worked perfectly! We tried it a few more times and adjusted the up/out limiter for the upcoming low water and put her back in the water. I ran her at the dock for a while and all seems fine.

We will try her out next weekend and hope this was just a momentary issue due to the guts blocking the intake and then the outdrive sticking due to the ezsteer bar.

Thank you everyone for your support and offers of help!

Btw, fishing was slow again today for others, but cohos and steelies are showing up, along with some two year olds. Fishing should pick up with more action and smaller size now... which I personally prefer when not LOC fishing!

Thanks Eric!

All in all, this year's fall fishing vacation was the best weather we have had in our 10+ years of fishing for a week of the Fall LOC, however it was by far and bar none the worst fishing. Am I worried, yes. Do I know the cause, no. All I can do is hope next year is better.

We did catch enough fish to fill my parent's freezer, so mission accomplished there, but we fished longer hours and more days than ever before to make it happen. Even scarier is this is the first year ever we haven't caught a fish over 25lbs and only two fish over 20lbs back in mid July. If this is your first year fishing the lake, don't give up. If you struggled this year and think you are doing something wrong, don't give up. There is a lot of bait out there and if we can manage a mild winter, we may see much better fishing next year!

20150907_120514.jpg

20150907_120541.jpg

Edited by Ruff Rider

Thanks Eric!

All in all, this year's fall fishing vacation was the best weather we have had in our 10+ years of fishing for a week of the Fall LOC, however it was by far and bar none the worst fishing. Am I worried, yes. Do I know the cause, no. All I can do is hope next year is better.

We did catch enough fish to fill my parent's freezer, so mission accomplished there, but we fished longer hours and more days than ever before to make it happen. Even scarier is this is the first year ever we haven't caught a fish over 25lbs and only two fish over 20lbs back in mid July. If this is your first year fishing the lake, don't give up. If you struggled this year and think you are doing something wrong, don't give up. There is a lot of bait out there and if we can manage a mild winter, we may see much better fishing next year!

20150907_120514.jpg

20150907_120541.jpg

Thank you for the inspirational aspire, it is my first (full time) but not last year fishing the Great Lake.. It's your adventures that keep us wanting more and that's not always the fish.. 

As with you and Mrs, Ruff, we also fish the spring striper run on the Mighty Muddy Hudson (my back yard)..

So glad you guys are back in business with the boat and will hopefully finish out your season with all its glory !!!

One more adventure for us next week and then some putting around locally before I put my boat to rest until the Stripers return again..

Safe travels, warm winter and great stories :

Rich

Fished today as soon as I got up here. 2 kings 20lb. Lost a king and a few cohos . Didnt get out until 8:30 all the action was until 9:30! From port bay to sodus.. holy crap there are some special guys out there. They see u hooked up and come charging in.

All fish pretty shallow. 120 in. Rock star rig . Green dot spinny on a diver and one on the rigger

Thanks Eric!

Agreed, worse year all around. I had less browns, had a hard time even getting lakers when things were slow (yes I just admitted that) and largest King was only 22lbs, lowest in the last 10 years or more for me. Unless we get lucky this coming weekend. Anyways, I hope things improve..... the two highlights for us were just this past weekend when my son picked up a near 13lb steelie and we boated an 10 lb Atlantic! Doesn't make up for the slow summer, but at least made things more enjoyable, before the long winter ahead!

20150907_120514.jpg

20150907_120541.jpg