With all common respect to the brave and successful Fisherman who are dedicated so much that go out regardless of weather. However now I want to discuss a different topic: ignorance and bullying of some guys in our fishing community. While sometimes we all fishing on the lake  in the same area, commonly must be effected the rule that we are all the same and being on the water, anything may happen with any of us, so, we all must be attentive to each other and helpful. Instead, some guys act like they own the lake and instead of giving a way to other boats which, “they think†are on their way...this guys start to shout, insult and show fingers.

Today at Blue Zone at 11:15 am one of charters on full speed was driving directly to my boat while I was trolling, it was really scary, I honked multiple times without any success and then, right in front of my boat they turned away avoiding collision, but leaving me and my wife in state of shock on a huge wake, having messed up all our lines... However this is not the end of story. While we were going to our slip, passing by that charter, that guys start to cry towards us various insults, show fingers, and one of this bullies even turned around and show his naked butt.

At this point, I’ll leave to myself my comments and my further action, just want to put in on discussion at this board. Any thoughts are welcome.

With all common respect to the brave and successful Fisherman who are dedicated so much that go out regardless of weather. However now I want to discuss a different topic: ignorance and bullying of some guys in our fishing community. While sometimes we all fishing on the lake  in the same area, commonly must be effected the rule that we are all the same and being on the water, anything may happen with any of us, so, we all must be attentive to each other and helpful. Instead, some guys act like they own the lake and instead of giving a way to other boats which, “they think†are on their way...this guys start to shout, insult and show fingers.
Today at Blue Zone at 11:15 am one of charters on full speed was driving directly to my boat while I was trolling, it was really scary, I honked multiple times without any success and then, right in front of my boat they turned away avoiding collision, but leaving me and my wife in state of shock on a huge wake, having messed up all our lines... However this is not the end of story. While we were going to our slip, passing by that charter, that guys start to cry towards us various insults, show fingers, and one of this bullies even turned around and show his naked butt.
At this point, I’ll leave to myself my comments and my further action, just want to put in on discussion at this board. Any thoughts are welcome.

Yes I think you should post the name of this boat,you may not be the only one they have done this to...get their name out there to keep them straight.

No don't do anything but get the numbers and name off th boat and turn it into the coast guard and sheriffs dept. that is almost criminal for doing what he did on the water creating unsafe conditions which put you and your boat at risk. For me I really have to hold my temper when I see that kind of action.

There's a bad apple in every bunch. I like to think that most fishermen and captains aren't so clueless, but we've had our share of run-ins over the years, too. One particular incident had a captain trolling in front of us multiple times to cut us off from "his" fish, sometimes taking a sharp turn to do so. Then, to take the cake, he got on a loudspeaker/bullhorn system and shouted obscenities at us as if we were somehow doing something wrong. Now, we've fished this lake for twenty+ years and we know how to play nice. He didn't.

I can't help but wonder how his clients felt about these antics. We ignored him and passed it off as a one-fer. But I was gritting my teeth the whole time, when what I really wanted to do was just keep trolling straight when he cut us off and see how he liked to play chicken. But we didn't, because who needs the hassle?

It wouldn't be fair to charter captains in general not to point out that most of them are gentlemen and extremely dedicated to their sport. As I say, this was an isolated incident and not indicative of most captain's behavior.

Edited by Gator

That guy was just showing his ass...:blink:...wait...Ray does that all the time to everyone, and he's harmless...I think:unsure:. .

Butt...if you don't identify the bozo, he won't care..,and frankly if you don't, how does it do any good to tell about the offense here?

That guy was just showing his ass...:blink:...wait...Ray does that all the time to everyone, and he's harmless...I think:unsure:. .

Butt...if you don't identify the bozo, he won't care..,and frankly if you don't, how does it do any good to tell about the offense here?

If you want the offending captain to see the error in his ways you have to call him out. From what you've described I'd say that the captain has no respect for himself, his customers, his business, or his family name. That type of immature behavior is usually corrected at adolescence. Perhaps he thinks he acting professional and dressing for success. ..

I had a case of disrespect myself yesterday on board my boat. One of my guests decided it would be a good idea to down a fifth of Vodka by 1030 then back them up with a 12 pack, in which he started disrespecting me and the other 2 family members of his on board as well. I gave him 2 well 3 options nicely, one go lay down in cabin and sleep, second I shove him over board and let him swim it off or I call the Coast Guard so they can pick him up. After arguing a bit he took a nap which between his cousin and I was his best option. Today he showed up sober as can be and couldn't remember a bit of yesterday in which I responded that's a shame cause we hooked into almost 20 kings and landed 13 of them. Number one reason I don't drink at all, idiots do enough for me and then some and which I was surprised by how calm I actually stayed in this situation.

Fortunately, there is overwhelming majority of good people at this forum who agree that we all live in our community by the law and common sense: be respectful and good to others and they will be good to you.

Unfortunately, there is few ones who never learned, while being bullies when they was 12 years old, and up to date, being bullies in their 30’s.... that to insult, and offence other people (twice their age by the way)...is not right.

As it was suggested I walked 10 slips to talk to this guy...well, he said "sorry", but his attitude said no sorry at all.

Thus, I was not surprised to find that my post “Bullying at Bluffers†was removed from Spoonpullers forum, fortunately the topic has been picked up by other guys.

Ok, forget about this nasty accident, but Something is not right here, aren’t we all entirely equal, regardless of boat we are in: 17 footer or 40 footer charter?

What makes some "few" think that they are kings on this lake?

It's the bigger boat syndrome, so it makes some (I means slim few) think because they have a bigger boat with a bigger spread that they shouldn't have to move. Then on the flip side I have been I instances that the little boats have to be right on top of us bigger boats cause they assume we are catching fish. Happened yesterday with me where I basically had a shadow most of the morning and literally move for move he was there til I turned and that boat tried cutting behind me, I kindly yelled back that if he did that we were both gonna lose gear cause he would have crossed my coppers cause he was that close. I was nice about it and he must have agreed cause he turned away and that was the end of it the rest of the day. I always said kill them with kindness cause it will either piss them right off or they will get a laugh and change there attitude

Sea-IV, You have more tolerance for BS than I do.

If I ran a charter business, I would allow beer and wine only, and a set amount per person. As someone who doesn't drink, I can't stand to be around someone who is sloppy drunk and confrontational, and then be responsible for their safety. If you needed to drink that much to have fun, you would have to find another charter.

Just my $.02

Its amazing the egos that this sport has. People I've known for a long time have even changed. Whether its being shrewd, lying or developing ego's. You have a very bad egg in your port and trust me, karma will happen.

silverfoxcharters.net

• 2 weeks later...

The last thing we need in our waterways is another TOOL, like a self subscribed DICTATOR , yu know the big  boat ****, oh I have power over u! I CAN  tell u that if any CHARTER BOAT  has the gall to cross me I will double my efforts in cutting off all his lines with my cannon balls!

hunter 59, did you read what this discussion is all about? It's not that somebody has "balls" to cut somebody else lines, this is about having "balls" to stand up against bullies and to prevent such behavior at our Great Lake, regardless the size of the boat. And something else: requests to put his name on the forum can't be satisfied, hope this guy learnt his lesson and now he has to continue doing his business, make money and feed his family.

Bullies will be bullies until someone stands up to them.I myself would have blacken the guys eyes,that is my way of dealing with bullies,not sure posting his name is the best way .Just because he is a A hole doesn't means his wife and kids should suffer,by him losing business,In this case not sure the best way for you to deal with this.at lease you and your wife are safe .I hope your next trip on the lake is better and stay safe.

Although I don't know what happened, I can state that there was significant debate about this on Spoonpullers.

The incident was apparently investigated by spoonpuller moderators and it was the Captain's clients that did this, not the Captain. The Captain did apologize. It was suggested that his autopilot was on and he wasn't paying attention - his fault. The behaviour that followed, was from the clients onboard. He isn't in control of that.

Although I don't condone what happened, there is always two sides to the story.

And for sure, respect and courtesy are definitely a must in this community. Just don't hang the wrong person.

For those interested in a follow up post in Spoonpullers, here it is:

http://www.spoonpullers.com/forums/index.php/topic,24973.msg149402.html#msg149402

gen-st, please don't take offence, but I've seen too many people burned at the stake because people got emotional, didn't fully understand the situation, stories turned into rumours, and then the accusations quickly fly.

I agree with you, the guys that did that to you are idiots - but be careful who you blame, as someone's livelyhood is on the line.

hey gen-st, cutting off lines is a great option and do not beat up on me , and requests to put his name online should be satisfied!!! And please do not give me your moral high ground cause I can tell u that when things heat up in the lake , they really heat up so do not give me your airy fairy BS !!!!!!!!!