The Little Salmon River Traffic Jam.

Not being able to fish from "Just Horsin Around" this Saturday,I decided to bring my own rig,"Dutch Treat" to the Little Salmon River launch. It was an adventure.

We left Rochester around 3.30 in the AM and after the compulsary stop at the Dunkins Donuts in Oswego we arrived at the Launch around 5.30 AM. I have never seen that many fishing rigs in so many shapes and colors so full of excited fishermen at such an ungodly hour. The river held a steady stream of boats going out to the lake while the launch witnessed a very busy double launching of almost exclusely well disciplined fast launches into the river. We launched along with another hundred boats and by 5.45 we were on the lake where there were lights of fishing boats as far as the eye could see.

Once out,we headed north into deep water in front of the northern dunes where we figured it would be quiet,but even there 13 miles north of port there was combat fishing, so we trolled farther north leaving all the other boats behind.

As for the fishing. No we did not get the 35 pounder that we had so carefully prepared for,we did not even get a 20 pounder, but we ended up with 3 salmon in the high teens and 3 steel head in the six pound range.

When we came back around 1pm most people were still out trying for the big one so it was easy to get  the boat out.

All in all a nice ,albeit choppy,day on the lake.

Cornelis.

Edited by rolmops

It's funny because the Mexico point launch has been pretty deserted every weekend until this weekend .

Yup it's almost time to pull the boat out . I'm not into crazy traffic on the lake .

The one thing that really bugs the heck out of me are the auto pilots ..

They set a course and never change no matter the other boats in the area.

Those of us without auto pilot are always , constantly changing our course for them .

Good luck and glad you got a few .

Rich

How far north did you go?  Depth you found fish and type of lures? We are out tomorrow out of Henderson Harbor.

Thanks, Mark

We were close to the trench. we caught everything on seasick wobbler spoons and cut bait. The big hit that got away was on 400 copper pulling a Yozuri 6 inch stick bait made for tuna fishing. I just tried it out,but it was one hit and nothing for the rest of the day on that one

Cornelis:

Thanks for the great report. Good to see you are trying some east end fishing with your boat. Hope to see you next weekend.

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Hey p3434, we talked with you at mexico on friday ( river view). Thats funny that we were talking about that very thing. Good luck this week an keep posting. I may make a day trip if things pick up.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Not being able to fish from "Just Horsin Around" this Saturday,I decided to bring my own rig,"Dutch Treat" to the Little Salmon River launch. It was an adventure.

We left Rochester around 3.30 in the AM and after the compulsary stop at the Dunkins Donuts in Oswego we arrived at the Launch around 5.30 AM. I have never seen that many fishing rigs in so many shapes and colors so full of excited fishermen at such an ungodly hour. The river held a steady stream of boats going out to the lake while the launch witnessed a very busy double launching of almost exclusely well disciplined fast launches into the river. We launched along with another hundred boats and by 5.45 we were on the lake where there were lights of fishing boats as far as the eye could see.

Once out,we headed north into deep water in front of the northern dunes where we figured it would be quiet,but even there 13 miles north of port there was combat fishing, so we trolled farther north leaving all the other boats behind.

As for the fishing. No we did not get the 35 pounder that we had so carefully prepared for,we did not even get a 20 pounder, but we ended up with 3 salmon in the high teens and 3 steel head in the six pound range.

When we came back around 1pm most people were still out trying for the big one so it was easy to get the boat out.

All in all a nice ,albeit choppy,day on the lake.

Cornelis.

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

Cornelis:

Thanks for the great report. Good to see you are trying some east end fishing with your boat. Hope to see you next weekend.

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United mobile app

You know I just had to do it. It does feel a bit strange to haul a boat about 200 miles  while the Genny river launch is less than six miles from my house. A point which my son mentioned a few times while we were traveling.

Anyway,that 35 pounder is still in the water waiting to have it out with us, so weather permitting we should try to hook into her this Sunday. We should leave the dock around five so we won't get stuck in a traffic jam at the mouth.

Beep the horn and wake us up on the boat when you turn off 104b to launch.

We will wait until the traffic jam clears then putt off the dock and fish the deserted water ,lol

That 35# has been caught today ( not in derby ) so set your sights towards the elusive 40#

Lol ,

post-155543-0-92203400-1441069608_thumb.jpg

Good Luck out there !!

Rich

Beep the horn and wake us up on the boat when you turn off 104b to launch.

We will wait until the traffic jam clears then putt off the dock and fish the deserted water ,lol

That 35# has been caught today ( not in derby ) so set your sights towards the elusive 40#

Lol ,

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Good Luck out there !!

Rich

That must be the biggest striper ever caught in Lake Ontario

I remember back in the late 80's . At Mexico point launch , waiting in a line about 2 miles back before the launch . This was early in the morning .

It sure was great back then, I still have an ESLO embroidered Patch ( that you used to get with entry fee)  That says:  " FISHIN'S GREAT IN 88", yes, we remember the lines all the way back to LiL Bonnies Salmon Inn !!!!!