copper questions

we are heading back to Lake Ontario this Labor day weekend out of point breeze. Had a lot of success running 300 copper and 10 colors of leadcore out on the Big in line church boards. I just bought a 400 rip of copper ( 45 lb ) was all they had ,,,,and am picking up a convector 55 tomorrow to spool it up on. I was planning on running the 300 on one side and the leadcore on the other then running the 400 down the chute on a church stern planner....aka Amish bobber as we call them. The package of 400 copper said put it on either a 800 tokada reel ( plus 800' of backing) or a convector 55 ( plus  600 ' of backing ) So here is my questions....????

Dose that mean I can fit 600' of backing under the 400 copper on that reel? If I were to put in on a planner board after 400 ' then send it out another 200' to get it away from the boat...that leaves 400' of line for a big king to rip out....ok I guess....I hope....???

Also dose that spread sound right? I know I need the boards far away because I have already had a fish on my 3 dipsey find my copper because it was too close to the boat. Any and all info or help on this would really be appreciated. Id like to run all 3. whats my best set up here?  Thanks

I agree with Dan, if I am gonna run multiple copper I would put them to the sides off the big boards so when something does strike I don't end up rolling copper up for the scrap yard. I your gonna do that setup run coppers on the sides and your leadcore down the chute

They are right need to get them away from the other stuff except if running in chute (carefully). Last time out I donated a 275 copper (new wire) to the scrap pile running too close :lol:

You want at least 900 feet backing. You'll be running off some of your backing to get knot at the water surface. If you run boards then you loose all that stretch from the boat to the release. Maybe only 50 ft. Or maybe 100 ft depending. With 600 you would have only 500 ft backing and many good kings run way beyond that.

Depends upon the choice of backing how much you can get under the copper and leader. 30 lb. Power pro is enough tensile strength and only .011 diameter. 50 lb is .015 and takes considerably more room on the reel therefore reducing your available backing to stop the fish. I would be nervous with only 400 or 500 ft to do that with.

I haven't personally had any kings spools my copper and most of my reels have just 500ft of braided backing except my 300&400 have mono. I have caught numerous kings that run line out but with drag control and the weight of that copper it can be managed properly. It takes some getting used to but the more a king runs the less likely they are to revive and swim away also so I don't waste any time getting any fish into the boat. Just my opinion everyone is different

I would think 600' of power pro is good enough.

As others suggest, I would put the copper on the boards, as it has a steeper sink rate than the leadcore. Having the leadcore down the chute will keep a higher line in the center of the action, and that would help prevent crossing over from other lines.

I'd also consider just 2 long lines. I don't like having a line down the chute. Rainbow can get acrobatic, and fast moving salmon as well can lift long lines right over into the chute line. Once that happens it's normally game over. You spend 1 hour fixing the mess, and you lose those rods for the rest of the day.

How many rods will you have in the water?  I'd go with 2 wire dipseys, 2 riggers, and 2 long lines (copper and/or leadcore depending on target depth). Consider a 3rd and 4th wire dipsey or a stacked rigger rod, if you want 8 in total.

Remember also the fish are staging that time of the year, so you will be inside of 100 ft, and closer to 60 ft.  A 400 copper won't really cut it, as you will be bottoming out. I think either a short copper like 250 ft or a 5 or 7 core will be good bets this time of year. However, don't underestimate the wire, a lot of guys are doing well using wire divers with meat on it.

Good luck.

My reels haven't been spooled yet either because I have 900 feet...but close and it was 400 copper with a newbie on the rod with a very energetic king two years ago in June, that wasn't even a high twenty fish. It was on a 15 foot outrigger. Release 11 feet off the water surface knot at the water runs about 40 to 45 feet of backing behind the boat in the air. Total backing off the reel about 60 feet. I sure liked the extra 1 or 200 feet left on the reel! Not always the case but I wasn't sorry for sure. Most fish will stop before that one did but as I said if you have an inexperienced person on the rod it can be trouble. 600 might be enough...it's always better to have reserve. Just like gas.

Thanks. Sounds good. I will run the copper out on the boards. core down the chute. We will be running 2 wire dipsey  rods a side. 2 riggers with stackers, and the long lines. That's 11 total and most likely just 10 without the chute rod. 4 of us on board. I ran 10 rods the last few trips with very little problem.

you say 400 will be to deep for inside? I figured the deepest it will run is 88 feet down more likely 80 ish at 2.5 to 3 mph no??? sounds just fine for say 100 to 120 fow . If that's where the temp and fish are I know. We have been doing well offshore and I know many many captains are still running out to the 30 line. I also know the inside is heating up. I hope we can find and stay on a productive bite inside but will run if needed maybe mid day. Thanks again

Man do I love running COPPER lines................... have rods with 25' to 300' ...think the Liberals would outlaw the stuff.............. :rofl:

Hey Stan! Ole buddy..they better not!..Ray and me would have to go poop in the dark! Our outhouses are wired with all of it the spin doctors ate! Where's your Cali forum lately:huh:

Hey Stan! Ole buddy..they better not!..Ray and me would have to go poop in the dark! Our outhouses are wired with all of it the spin doctors ate! Where's your Cali forum lately:huh:

Took it down due to lack of interest. Gave up fishing myself...I was I sicker than a dog and to hard headed to go see a Doctor, then one day wife hauled me to the hospital...They found out I was 2 quarts low on blood.......put two new ones in and thank God my boat did not sell....Going down get a fishing license this week...be just in time for Fall and Winter fishing that is almost here. The lake lice will be gone after this weekend.....Heck might even start back at running after young woman again....Yep the Chartreuse Moose is back..............

Took it down due to lack of interest. Gave up fishing myself...I was I sicker than a dog and to hard headed to go see a Doctor, then one day wife hauled me to the hospital...They found out I was 2 quarts low on blood.......put two new ones in and thank God my boat did not sell....Going down get a fishing license this week...be just in time for Fall and Winter fishing that is almost here. The lake lice will be gone after this weekend.....Heck might even start back at running after young woman again....Yep the Chartreuse Moose is back..............

Lol! Chasing women at our age is hazardous!.ya better keep the one ya got!:o...sounds like she saved yer life!...you might add to your apothecary list; ...blue pills...nitro glycerin. ...oxygen tank...ok go for it.

Good for if ya feel that good! Get that boat out and catch fish that's easier than catching young women! Safer too! I think:blink::unsure:

Sounds like ya got hi test..testosterone blood dude!

WHERE'D YA GIT IT...:blink::huh::D

Edited by skipper19

Lol! Chasing women at our age is hazardous!.ya better keep the one ya got! :o...sounds like she saved yer life!...you might add to your apothecary list; ...blue pills...nitro glycerin. ...oxygen tank...ok go for it.

Good for if ya feel that good! Get that boat out and catch fish that's easier than catching young women! Safer too! I think:blink::unsure:

Sounds like ya got hi test..testosterone blood dude!

WHERE'D YA GIT IT...:blink::huh: :D

Sorry missed your phone call, was down behind the house looking at the river for Kings...Told the wife I feel like I have a six pack now, she said all I need is that plastic thing that holds it all together..... Going to have change all the line on 19 reels that I have not used in the last 2 years....The backing on copper reels should be ok, but leaders will have to be changed out....

Mark what make of reel you have 400' copper on ?   Love to find a reel big enough to hold 600' of copper...Many  times I have hooked up the 300' to a downrigger that has been one of the most productive rods on the boat but ONLY 1 or you have a mess 3 monkeys could not untangle ..25' Copper rod set up sitting 50' to 60' off port or starboard side from big boards has been deadly as well when surface water temp come down.

Thanks. Sounds good. I will run the copper out on the boards. core down the chute. We will be running 2 wire dipsey  rods a side. 2 riggers with stackers, and the long lines. That's 11 total and most likely just 10 without the chute rod. 4 of us on board. I ran 10 rods the last few trips with very little problem.

you say 400 will be to deep for inside? I figured the deepest it will run is 88 feet down more likely 80 ish at 2.5 to 3 mph no??? sounds just fine for say 100 to 120 fow . If that's where the temp and fish are I know. We have been doing well offshore and I know many many captains are still running out to the 30 line. I also know the inside is heating up. I hope we can find and stay on a productive bite inside but will run if needed maybe mid day. Thanks again

If you're in 100ft you should be fine just watch the inside copper on the turns as it will sink fast. My point is you might be actually fishing in 60 fow as that's where the fish seem to be lining up. Then your 400 copper will be too much.