nine mile?mexico bay-newer post

You will never get dozens of big fish caught in every port when you have 2 hard winters. Time to really look into how a hard winter affects the growth of fish. Again we have been spoiled, now we have to ride the roller coaster until it is back where everyone wants it.

Capt Rich

NY Guide Service

Lake Ontario Charters

Salmon River Drift Boat trips

Waterfowl Hunting.

Just got back from Lake O out of Catfish creek. Spend 8 days on the water, the first three days couldn't fire a rod. It all changed mid week and the bite got really good, especially at first and last light. Be on the water before sunrise. Totals for the week were 20 salmon caught mostly kings and a few small cohos. The magic depth off the rigger was 74 ft. in 85-110 FOW. Flashers and flies did all the damage, could not get a spoon to fire. Mid day the bite was on out in the 200-230 FOW same depth off the riggers 74 ft. My faith was restored. Good luck to everyone!!!

The numbers of fish are way down in the entire east end.

Last year was bad this year is worse.

Thats a fact.

Why is all speculation.

Have to disagree with you Glenn. This year maybe worse for catching but there are by far more fish. I never screens of fish last year like I have this year. Problem is getting them to snap. Taking to many capts from Fairhaven to Port Ontario and they are saying the same thing. Fish are there, but for some reason will not snap. Could be many reasons for this, but doubtful we will ever know.

Capt Rich

NY Guide Service

Lake Ontario Charters

Waterfowl Hunting.

Have to disagree with you Glenn. This year maybe worse for catching but there are by far more fish. I never screens of fish last year like I have this year. Problem is getting them to snap. Taking to many capts from Fairhaven to Port Ontario and they are saying the same thing. Fish are there, but for some reason will not snap. Could be many reasons for this, but doubtful we will ever know.

Capt Rich

NY Guide Service

Lake Ontario Charters

Waterfowl Hunting.

Thats fine Rich.

Time will tell.

In the mean time my fishfinder must be broke because there were only a couple days that I marked decent numbers.

And that is the general concenses of other Capts working the Bay.

More boats than fish.

I tend to agree with Rich. It's kinda funny how opinions differ on something like marking fish. Lol. I marked a crazy amount of what I felt to be kings last time out, while guys in the same port said they had blank screens.

I have total faith in my ff. However getting them to bite was a **** !

We will know soon enough.

Fish or not, it was a great season because I can never get enough of this lake :)

Sent from my SM-G900V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I fished the lake last week and caught more fish this year then I have the last three year combined. I went 20 for 26 last week and could not believe the amount of marks we found out there. But I think part of the issue is that the fish are sitting right on the bottom. Every day right before Sun up and just after Sun set the screen looked like it was in display mode with the amount of marks.

We fished in front of 9 mile Sat and Sun and at times had a hard time finding a blank spot on the screen, nothing but bait and hooks.... My guess is that they aren't as hungry as in yrs past. It's like they are living in an all you can eat fish market.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Just got back from Lake O out of Catfish creek. Spend 8 days on the water, the first three days couldn't fire a rod. It all changed mid week and the bite got really good, especially at first and last light. Be on the water before sunrise. Totals for the week were 20 salmon caught mostly kings and a few small cohos. The magic depth off the rigger was 74 ft. in 85-110 FOW. Flashers and flies did all the damage, could not get a spoon to fire. Mid day the bite was on out in the 200-230 FOW same depth off the riggers 74 ft. My faith was restored. Good luck to everyone!!!

Nice job Pete! Glad you were finally able to get them to go.

Edited by MikeyP