Keuka ANY REPORTS ON KEUKA

I have been out half a dozen times in the past two weeks, jigging in the morning and evening near the Bluff and up the east arm. Several boats have come over and asked how I was doing, and their story was always the same as mine - not doing diddly!  

You can see tons of arcs on the fishfinder, but they don't much seem interested in chasing anything.

Would love to hear from anyone whose experience has been better.. (esp. if they are willing to share a little of how/why)..

Boated 7 lakers this morning off west side of bluff, 7-11am, lost 3 at boat.  All came on something different and from downriggers and dipsy's. Downriggers at 60, 110 and 135.  Dipsy's with 100, 120 and 140.  FOW 80-170.  Found 4 pods of bait with fish from 20-140.  Didn't matter what direction.  Crazy day, every fish on something different, Spin Doctor, dodger, flys, spin-n-glo, Sutton 44, sutton 71, Laker Taker flutter, from gold, silver, watermelon, color didn't matter and the surprise was a 6.4 lb smallmouth caught on a blue crush glow Spin Doctor with purple hoochie, 140 wire out over 170 FOW. Never expected that.  Picture of my brother in law who grabbed the pole and got it to the boat.  Released to fight another day!

post-140125-0-58668900-1441157933_thumb.jpg

I was out there Sunday (but not fishing ) ad there was grass allover the surface at the Branchport end....it appeared unfishable to me unless maybe jigging.

Edited by Sk8man

The last laker I caught (26 1/2") through up a handful of baby purch as I brought him to aboard the boat. They were 1 - 2" long. I would say they are feeding on them. It was two weeks ago when I fished there though. I fish at night too. A lot less boat traffic and cooler.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I haven't

seen sawbellie in months in there I fished all over bluff,branchport ,penn Yann hammondsport,I don't have a clue what's goin on. I have never seen anything like it.I night fish all the time all over for trout never seen the perch like that

Edited by Butch7977

I'm out of branchport and mostly fish from branchport to the bluffs never really have to go much further than the bluffs. I through all the laker back that we caught this year so other than them throughing up on the boat haven't cut any open to see what they've been eating. I troll at night and make out quite well. We are at Lake Ontario for the salmon this month but but make it back to the lake first week in October just for two weeks and pull it for the winter.

Didn't mention that along with the glow spoons and flys. I use dips divers and down riggers. I usually fish from 8:30 pm. Til midnight or later depending on fish cooperation.

Last time by the Keuka State Park launch bait fish were at 30 fow and lakers were at 40 fow over 90 -100 fow. This is were they were full of purch.

8-12 hook ups but always lose a few. Average around 10 per 4 hour trip . Some nights less some more. I'd have to look in my log book but one trip we only went 1 for 4. That was the worst night we've had this year.

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone been out on Keuka? I fished it last October for the first and only time and did well on the lakers. It will be my last trip for season, and it's a ways for me, so just looking for confirmation they're biting. Planning on launching from the park in Branchport.

Thanks.

Don't stop fishing in the winter!  We have gone up with the boat and ice fishing gear, we have shoveled ice off the ramp if there is open water..  Oh we jig, we do not troll maybe that makes a difference but we get a limit almost ever time we go up no matter the season.  Bigger fish in Cayuga but that is bigger water and a lower limit in winter we just stay with Keyuka....jk

Thanks, jk1.

My brother and I fished out of branchport this morning. We set up about a mile south of the launch, but couldn't get anything to go. Pulled lines and motored down to the bluff. We hit a couple small lakers and a nice pickerel on spoons in short order, but that was it.

Marked plenty of fish 60-100 feet down, but they apparently didn't want what we were offering.

A beautiful day on the lake. Winterizing the boat now.