Wood rot1990 210 Thompson

cheeseyrider

Discovered wood shelf on boat rotten almost the whole length on starboard side. My boat has the wood floor covered with vinyl. I was attempting to re-attach the vertical padded bolster that holds items placed on shelf from falling off the shelf when I discovered the rot and this white looking wet  and soft fungus coming out from under vinyl. I ripped the vinyl away the whole length. Stuff looked nasty. So I need the shelf replaced and where it met the transom on top of the shelf it just started to soften the transom. Rest of transom seems fine. My cousin who is along on trip is an exterminator and knowledgeable about chemicals informed me he can get a liquid that can be brushed on wood and it will migrate and permeate the wood , kills the fungus  and hardens the wood. Not looking to use it on the rotten board but thinking it may stop the transom from more damage Any one else familiar with using something like that on transoms just to stop from spreading? Liquid has to be applied to bare wood to work and takes about two weeks to work. Probably all the vinyl should be ripped up on floor and other shelf and floor and stringers looked at. About three- four years ago I had someone replace part of the floor that was soft  and was suppose to fix that shelf. I don't think he did that great of a job cause another soft spot popped up on floor and had problems with shelf again. My boat is a 1990 in relatively good shape. The shelf is glassed to the side of boat and pretty sure it adds support to the hull but but don't know the technical name for it. More concerned with replacing shelf and repairing transom than floor cause I think I could handle the floor and replacing the vinyl as a winter project.. Also wondering how hard it would be to replace floor with starboard or some other material that doesn't need to be covered with vinyl. If necessary willing to take boat back to NY to have work done. I'm from Lehigh Valley and doubt there are a lot of skilled people in my area to do work. I researched old posts under Old Boat and read most of them. Any one have any thoughts or know of anyone that can do the work in eastern Pa. or the closest place in NY Thanks in advance

There will be others on here who will see this post, including one who had a Thompson.  A 25 year old Thompson, unless it was stored most of the time inside is going to have rot issues.  From the sounds it, you seem to be describing an issue with the side bolster and then some floor/transom issues.  The side bolster(wood covered by vinyl) is simply replacing that piece.  The floor issues and transom are of more concern because there could be issues with the stringers which are underneath the floor and support the boat and floor.  This is a major job and major expense.   Should it be extensive damage, you need to evaluate all your options before moving forward.  There is a marine product which was made by Glov-it-west marine has it to stop rot in its tracks but it sounds like you issue is more extensive then what that product can solve.

Like I stated, others will respond who have gone through this issue in detail.      

Edited by MCF

Having built and rebuilt numerous glass and wooden boats through the years, there is no quick answer here. Your boat is a glass hull with many wooden parts and rot is always a problem. As MCF mentioned, you need to be concerned with how far the rot has spread and what damage may have been done to structural parts of the boat. Begin by removing the deck completely then doing a survey of the hull and transom. Look for soft and wet spots especially in structural parts like the stringers and transom. You can check for water permeation in the transom by drilling several small holes along its bottom and seeing if water weeps out. You have problems if it does. Make sure you properly repair the holes if it is dry. The same is true with your stringers. Remove anything screwed to or through a stringer then check the wood.

Visit the web site rotdoctor.com. There is a great deal of information and links about repairing and restoring wood in a boat. I have used his penetrating epoxy system many times and it is a good one.

If you are looking for skilled marine work, check out shops on the Jersey shore. They will be only an hour or so from you and there are many shops skilled in the type of work you need done.

Finally, don't put back a vinyl covered plywood deck. They will always rot. Vinyl traps moisture and rot will occur. Build a plywood deck using marine plywood - okume, AB or BB fir or at least BCX plywood from a lumberyard. Paint the deck with a nonskid deck paint after sealing both sides and all edges with penetrating epoxy (three coats). You will have a very long lasting deck that will not promote rot. Starboard does not make a good deck material. It is quite heavy and lacks the necessary stiffness for a good deck unless a rather complex support system is built underneath it. Plywood is far superior and lighter.

Poked around my transom from the inside with an awl and it seems the softness is just around the starboard side where the bolster meets the transom on the inside.  I'm assuming drilling small holes in the transom to look for moisture would be done on the outside at the lowest point near the drain hole? I've had this boat 13 yrs , always garage kept except for short periods outside with the Bimini ,side and front curtains and aft covered to keep out rain. Put 1000 hrs on in that time. Boat in real good shape, seats, motor etc. I'm gonna call around Oak Orchard Marinas to see if they can recommend anyone to replace the bolster and repair the transom. Can anyone recommend anyone from NY closest to Oak Orchard that I can take the boat to when I come up first week in October? .I looked  at the Rot Doctor product along with System Three and believe  that might work since I believe 90% of transom is solid.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Ended up dropping off my boat with Clint Samson, Samson Marine in Red Creek, they don't use marine plywood like I would have thought and many people recommend on this site. They use something called green board, comes in sheets like plywood, supposed to be  warranted by mfg lifetime. Anyone ever heard of it or use it?