Plugs

Stacking is the only way I run my plugs. Usually 15 or 20ft above the flasher fly and 35-50ft back. They'll dive some on their own so if a King comes up to the flasher/fly and doesn't like it and drops back there's a plug swimming by in short time. Usually takes a few fish this time of the year. 

Total Chaos

Stacking is the only way I run my plugs. Usually 15 or 20ft above the flasher fly and 35-50ft back. They'll dive some on their own so if a King comes up to the flasher/fly and doesn't like it and drops back there's a plug swimming by in short time. Usually takes a few fish this time of the year. 

Total Chaos

Great input! It leads to another question - when I stack I typically have the longer lead on the bottom - how do you avoid tangles if the longer lead is on top?  I know guys do it, but I cant visualize how it would work - I'm assuming the rod pointing off to the side of the boat would just have to be the "stacked" line correct?

I've never run Plugs so I can't speak to the action you'd get on such a small lead - but I wouldn't think it'd be messier than running spoons for a cheater.

What is the bouyancy of a plug?  Would you be able to run it as a "free sliding" cheater?

I don't think there'd be a problem running it as a free slider but I like to have it in the fish zone. Usually this time of the year the band of cold water is pretty tight so running a free slider seems like a waste of time. As for stacking, I do it the same all the time. I run 2 riggers and they will be angled back and to the side. Therefore my rod on the bottom will be to the outside and the stacked rod will be to the inside. The bottom rod will always be run shorter. Sometimes the bottom rod will get caught in the top rod when a fish hits but not very often. It's actually a standard setup for me to stack rods even in the spring.

Total Chaos

Plugs definitely on their own. You want that erratic action they provide on their own. I don't think a paddle will help anything.

As for stacking them, I think it would be okay, but I'd probably only leave the back treble in (remove mid treble) to help prevent tangles between the slider and main line. They do dive to a certain extent, so it may work. I have never tried it though.

I sometimes use the small-sized dipsey to stack a spoon/plug/naked meat.  Set it on 3, let out 25 ft of line, clip in stacker release set 20 ft above the ball.  That way the spoon/plug rides close to the same depth as the ball, in temp, but off to the side so when it fires it doesn't tangle.  Works great some days.  But some days it's too much stuff in the zone and turns them off.