Spin Docs or Paddles

I like 44 to 46 inches behind an 11 inch paddle. About 40 for an 8 inch spin doctor. Not an exact science thing really. Just not too short or too long. 40 to 46 in. Is good if an inch longer or shorter I don't think it's a super critical thing for me.

48 inches for us with twinkies but 60 inches with just a clean leader and meat head. The paddle size is up to the fish. Start with what you have confidence in then change it if it doesnt fire after a while

Sent from my LG-D631 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

It isn't a stupid question......many of us on here use terms that WE are familiar with but may be unfamiliar to others :). "Meat" refers to the use of actual prepared (dead) bait fish or imitations of bait fish which are trailed behind  attractors such as a flasher, dodger or Spin Doctor (plastic or metal objects (sometimes referred to as "paddles") used to get the fishes attention and run in front of the bait (meat) which trails behind it twirling around in the water (twirling is achieved by bending the bait in  the desired way). Common sizes of the attractor are eight inches and 11" sizes. The bait is attached usually to a plastic "head" which has a short 3 or 4 ft leader fed through it holding the bait in place and containing heavy duty single and or treble hooks trailing and integrated with the bait. The bait can usually be twisted to give it the desired action behind the attractor and sometimes small fly like additions are placed ahead of the plastic head which are referred to as twinkies. I'm attaching a pic (not one of mine) that gives a general idea. Other folks may have closer up pics to show you but at least you'll get the idea.

post-145411-0-53357200-1442107198_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sk8man

thanks sk8man.

I have always fished in the spring. Just what I was taught many years ago. I have been reading a lot of posts this year to maybe take a shot at fishing the late summer or fall next year. I appreciate you going the extra mile and explain things in a little more detail so some of novices can learn a few things.