9-3 sandy pond....3rd time's a charm

I got out with salty seaman this morning hoping for a decent king...just like monday and just like 2 weeks ago with miss em. My first two trips were uneventful to say the least, but had fun and learned some along the way. Today was no banner day by any means, but we managed 3 bites in 6 hours landing 1 small coho down 75 over 120 on 8" green protroll with a green fly off a riggers at about 8am. We broke off a nice fish mid air 400' behind the boat on a mag spoon off a 10 color core with a clip weight. Then at 1230 95' riggers with flasher fly starts screaming and doesn't stop till we are getting low on line. Took me forever to get the fish to the boat and just when im think she's done she takes off and passes the boat way out on the starboard side. I fought the fish over the bimini for a bit until Jim got back out in front. When jim finally got it netted after a couple blow ups behind the boat i had my first king from the lake, a 25 pounder! Some might say the fishing is off, but im happy to have had to put a little time in! Amazing fishery!

post-151276-0-57447800-1441317718_thumb.jpg

Dont think i need double digits a day! A couple fish for the smoker and im good! Now walleyes are something different entirely! That's what's so great about new York state fishing....there's something for everyone! Thanks to Jim ill get out once more weather permitting. Im ready for Otisco in the am!

WTG Justin. Glad to see you finally got to experience the "addiction" with a good one to show for it. :)   Nothing like a good king on the end of your line to get the adrenaline pumping. :lol:

Good stuff Justin!  As you may know I'm primarily a Fingers guy myself, but making my first real trip to Ontario tomorrow, can't wait!

One King and I will be happy - enjoy your weekend of fishing (Hopefully)

-Matt B

I grill them occasionally and make salmon patties out of the canned fish most of the time. Catching them is fun but I normally toss them back if I get more than 2 salmon in a day. Walleyes on the other hand, they get a 1 way ticket to the frying pan!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Justin.

Glad to see you got to hit the Big O. I've only been twice and we got a couple each time. Not a real hot bite. The walleye bite has been so consistent on the river it's hard to justify running to the lake for a couple salmon. If the salmon bite picks up I will give it a try but hunting season is coming quickly.

Kevin,

Ive been lucky to get a chance on the big lake with captain jeff and jim....i cant get over the no weeds to deal with...at least its easy fishing when you cant get a bite...im used to A LOT of work even on almost every trip.

I had a decent bite going on eyes for 9-11 trips and then it just went cold. Nothing but tigers and i dont bother them in the heat unless i have a guest. Bad year for eyes by my standards but thats fishing. Im hoping for a fall bite like 2 years ago to make up for it, but have to fish and see. Let me know if deer are sparse...seems im back to overpopulation....

Justin,

The walleye bite here has been nothing short of incredible. Limits nearly every outing and nice quality fish. Limited yesterday and this morning!

I may take you up on the deer hunting offer as they issue no doe permits and bucks only with muzzleloader is some of the area that I hunt. Not often do people offer to come help harvest excess doe. I do have doe tags for the other area I hunt and you can take doe with muzzleloader.

wish i could have went with you all, Jim is at my house and told me the story! Too bad i didnt get up there this year.

Story can't do it justice!!! He kept telling me to pump the fish in and I kept telling him it wouldn't move...had to be there but I was really leaning on that fish....and then having it pass the boat fighting over the top of the Bimini...

Kevin,

I had a nice bite this morning... fished solo and caught 3-4 and kept 1...found a pocket of fish on structure and caught 1 every pass I didnt snag up...

Sent from my XT1080 using Lake Ontario United mobile app