Dunkirk 9/1-3/15

walteye

Took the dog and ran up to Dunkirk for midweek fishing. Tuesday ran North out of Dunkirk to 85-90 FOW and screen was lit up down deep-an enormous contrast to a month a ago when blank was all I ever saw on the screen! Ran slide divers down to 70'-12 color lead and black 40 jets with 3 oz snap weights. To say that 20-30 silver bass in a day was on the low side. Did not have an eye in the box to middle of afternoon when I changed out a slide diver to a dipsey-same red 3" Renosky lure-and caught 4 eyes in a row-including personal best 11#3oz. 

Wednesday ran to same location-ran 2 black dipseys with 3" red Renosky and 10 color lead with 2 oz snap weight with purple /black crawler harness. From 6am to 330pm-I never had all the lines in the water-action was non-stop with both walleye and silver bass!! I had a limit in the livewell by 830am-I never believed anyone telling me that they did that. If I told you that at least 30 silver bass were hooked and released-it would be a low # again. I ended up with 14 walleye caught total Wednesday. Thursday ran same game plan-3 eyes in the livewell by 8 am-then the walleye action slowed while the silver bass action stayed non-stop. Ended up the day catching 8 eyes-while a three day total for the silver bass had to be over 100. Although it is nice to have action all day-when you reel in 10 color lead over and over to find one of those bass on the hook-not so much fun!!

Great fishing and better yet-"catching"- this week out of Dunkirk!

Walteye  

I've fished on Erie all my life, and have never seen the silver bass as heavy as this year.   Sure there

is a reason.....

Fishing off Dunkirk has been pretty solid the last 3 weeks.   Lots of deep fish.    Seems that inside 75 you

have to weed thru way more silvers.

95-105 been best of late.   All sticks.

Last time out we caught 31 silver bass to 9 walleye,could not keep the silvers off long enough to catch walleye.The walleyes we caught were by fluttering spoons from riggers set near bottom in 85 ft,but if you waited 10 minutes from the time you put the riggers down chances were you were getting silver bass on the spoons as well.

When the blue pike disappeared, there was an explosion of silver bass then. We ate them then. Things change, get used to it. You may find them okay. After people try to have a balanced harvest of the lake's fish, things will change.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app