where are the salmon

Brian, was there any discussion regarding the amount of "gill plate missing fish" at the meeting?  I would be interested to know if the alarm bells have gone off with biologists yet or do we need to tell someone our concerns?

No this did not come up but I just put it in my notes for our meeting at the hatchery in October.  Thanks that one had slipped my mind.

Say what you want about laker fishing Rick. The more lakers taken out of the system by fishermen, the brighter our king future looks. The laker population has been climbing the past three seasons. I have seen a drastic increase in fish under 15lbs. Think about how many alewives a laker eats compared to a king in its lifetime.

There is a highly respected biologist in the DEC who believes that there is a strong correlation between the number of adult Lake trout in the lake, and King salmon survival. If you think about it, the recent downturn in Chinny numbers does coincide with the uptick in the adult Lake trout numbers. Remember, the feds were having problems producing the target number of Lake trout for several years.

No, stocking less Kings is NOT the answer. The adult alewives are the wolves in this scenario. If they are not brought in check, the yoy Alewives and emerald shiners will have trouble bouncing back. We do not have a growth problem, we have a numbers problem and age structure problem. Today we had a 1 1/2 yr old mature "Jack" male King that weighed 8 lbs. In 2013 our team set two different tournament format weight records--why? Because the 2009 natural hatch was incredible along with good survival of that years stocked fish. As 3 yr olds the lake was "alive" with competing Salmon from East to west. That year class produced a good number of 4 yr olds that matured in 2013. We do not have a growth issue, we have a numbers issue.

Say what you want about laker fishing Rick. The more lakers taken out of the system by fishermen, the brighter our king future looks. The laker population has been climbing the past three seasons. I have seen a drastic increase in fish under 15lbs. Think about how many alewives a laker eats compared to a king in its lifetime.

Edited by Capt Vince Pierleoni

If you run a charter business like I do and salmon is not around, Lake Trout is the "King". Don't ever give that fish a bad reputation. I have people specifically asking to catch lakers only. They are well aware how that fish tastes. Smoked lakers are very good. Yes I do agree they do poop after they end up on deck of your boat. I do not target lakers but if it wasn't for lakers, many times other charter captains and I would come back with empty coolers.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Edited by captainbroz

Fillet them first and take out the dark lateral line material (strong fish taste comes from there) and ideally smoke them in a smoker .....they can actually be great to eat

I stopped at a yard sale this summer , they had a bunch of tackle and spoons for sale. I started talking with the family about why they were selling the fishing gear, and they told me they like to target the lake trout,so these spoons were just collecting dust. I asked them "what do you do with the lake trout you catch"...they all replied in unison "We eat them ", "we love eating them". They told me they fillet the lakers, cube them into about 1" chunks, egg wash and rolled in seasoned bread crumbs and deep fry them.

I told them they are one of a very few families I know who like eating lakers......they laughed and told me people tell them that all the time.

Sorry but I'll agree with chinook on eating them. I've tried all sizes, all different lakes, times of year and different ways to cook. The cooking device tastes better. They do however keep you awake when nothing else is biting. Everyone have a safe winter, Steelhead are almost here.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Do we still get eggs for kings/coho/steelhead  from  the west coast ?  If not maybe it is time to change the genetics  . Mother nature can change things a lot in 25 years.

40# kings & 20# steelhead use to be common 20-25 years ago.  Fishing has"nt been consistant since the Bills were in the Super Bowl.

Did my part today Vince

Sent from my XT1575 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Hmmmm. ..figured something like that for no Yankee at the Oak report this past few weekends. 2 hours and done...poor grizzly :o:(

I fished for salmon...no cleanup necessary except one day :D...:(