where are the salmon

I Have never tried lakers and don't intend to. Fortunately I can keep my freezer full of walleye and perch. I did however make a trip to olcott this spring, and brought home a few kings. I will say that if the lakers are worse than the kings, they are probably poisionous. Those kings were just awful.

Do you bleed the kings and Lakers out...everyone that goes into the cooler I cut the gill and slice their throats...make a whole lot of difference in the taste...then get the fish in a ice water cooler..old trick I was taught in Alaska

Jason makes an excellent point here.....bleeding them out soon after catching and then keeping them real cold does a lot to make fish milder tasting. If I decide to keep something  I often slit the throat below the gills and tilt them at an angle at the side of the boat for a minute, squeeze them a little  and then put them back in the net over the side to drain the rest of the blood and then into the cooler on ice they go. If you combine this with proper filleting, getting rid of the lateral line material (dark stuff done the center of the side) any belly fat or the stuff near the backbone and properly cook the fish they are far far  from "poisonous tasting" :lol: I think that we have gotten a bit off topic though :)

Edited by Sk8man

I too was there last Friday and fished on 70fow 35 to 40 ft down.got my limit on coppers and downrigger with j-plug ladder back green and two on a dream weaver sea sick waddler spoon. This week you'll probably need to fish a little shallower.

Good luck.

I was there Monday and Tuesday. There are very few fish in the estuary for this time of year.Things have really changed over the past 20 years.3rd week in September was prime time In front of the house.Not anymore.......first or second week in October(the past 2 years anyway) the kings come in and don't hold long down low.When they DO run,they seem to be on a mission and not interested in anything thrown their way.just my observation.

When I bleed them I cut through the gills on both sides , the heart keeps pumping and it completely bleeds them out.If I'm in my boat I cut them then throw them in the livewell for a few minutes then right on ice.If I'm fishing from shore I cut them right before I leave and let them bleed out in the water on the stringer.then on ice

Fished outside of the Salmon River from 6:30 am today until about 11. Two releases, landed one 15lb hen, marked most fish between 50 and 30 FOW, only saw two fish rise, never saw another boat move a rod - (at peak time there were only about 8 other boats in the combat zone, spread way out), Headed out to 150' and marked very few fish or bait. Ran everything, J Plugs took the smacks.

We have major issues with OUR fish in lake ontario. The s""t is going to hit the fan this winter with the state. It might cost us all a little out of our time and pockets, but it is time we stand up for what is needed to the sportsman and the community. I and many others from one end of the lake to the other feel this way and i am sure plenty of others as well. There will be meetings in the future with hopefully some of the right people to get some answers from dec.( not that they will not have a dozen ). Strength is in numbers, let's keep this in mind as this issue continues, thanks. By the way the fishing in front of the genny is dismal.

The 2 yr class is carrying my port. These are clipped and weigh 12--16lbs. It looked like a good class but if lots of them matured due to an absense of older fish or due to the excessive alewife population(fast growth=early maturity) then they wont be as strong of a class as 3 yr olds.

Repeat-there is NOT a growth problem. WHEN we get a 4 yr old, they are the usual 22--30lb fish. We have had several "jacks" of late, 1.5 yr old mature males--they have weighed as much as 8lbs, which is excellent growth even for a King.

The whispers that have leaked out are that a different, CHEAPER food was used at the hatchery for a few years. This would be like putting low octane fuel in your tow vehicle or an NFL team only eating pop tarts the week leading up to the game. Unreal. This creates all kinds of problems as smaller direct stocked fish end up as fish food in most cases--if they survive at all. Lets hope this was the primary problem.

With some areas experiencing good natural hatches, it makes you think about the whole gauntlet the fish have to go through. In the wild, very few smaller matures earn the right to get the good gravel. It's the "law of the jungle." When the big fanged and hooked jaw Chinny slides in, the smaller ones scramble--survival of the fittest. If they dont leave he will grab them and throw them off the bed. Unless the DEC is taking only the fittest specimens at stripping time, we are asking for trouble.  

Edited by Capt Vince Pierleoni

We have major issues with OUR fish in lake ontario. The s""t is going to hit the fan this winter with the state. It might cost us all a little out of our time and pockets, but it is time we stand up for what is needed to the sportsman and the community. I and many others from one end of the lake to the other feel this way and i am sure plenty of others as well. There will be meetings in the future with hopefully some of the right people to get some answers from dec.( not that they will not have a dozen ). Strength is in numbers, let's keep this in mind as this issue continues, thanks. By the way the fishing in front of the genny is dismal.

Damn straight Bruce the DEC is screwing up Lake Ontario and now doing their damnedest to screw up hunting!!!They need to be put in check and held accountable before its too late

I am not sure if wildlife officials could ever prove that the presence of too much bait would cause small jacks to run and spawn. I have caught 18" 1 or 2 yr old kings in the two-heart which flows into Lake Superior which is bait poor. I CAN tell you that if you continue to strip eggs and milt from these jacks you increase the likelihood that the progeny created will also develop early. It should be hatchery policy to not use jacks for egg or milt take.

Edited by Gill-T

Just received this response to my inquiry from Assemblyman Kolb

Dear Mr. B

Thank you for contacting me with your concerns about the Lake Ontario King Salmon Fishery.

It is not uncommon for various species of fish and wildlife to experience periods of downturns in population for any number of reasons.  The New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) is aware of this issue and is cognizant of the economic importance of the salmon fishery to our region.

Should additional funding be required to increase stocking or conduct additional research into the underlying causes of this decline, I would support it. I would like to thank you and the Lake Ontario United Forum for all you do to advocate for our precious resource.

If I can be of further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.

(signature was an image that would not post)

Edited by Sk8man