Legacy- 2015 Deer Season

Legacy

In every trail picture I have seen this year I have noticed the racks this year are more spindly/lacking mass. I am sure the past two winters have taken its toll on antler mass. I have lowered my expectations.

I like his shows but I often wonder if Charles moonlights as Captain Obvious on those Hotels.com ads.  What's this?  Late October full moon best time to hunt????  What is this strange phenomenon you speak of?   I can't believe he gets paid for this stuff.  You be the judge.

Hotels.com_Captain_Obvious_LockedUp1_zps

Charles-Alsheimer-bow-buck-715x10241_zps

Edited by Gill-T

Found 3 very fresh scrapes this afternoon on a new property while trimming a couple shooting lanes.  I noticed a bit of scraping in late September and nothing again until now.  Hung a camera on one to see if any decent bucks are around. 

I've had a scrape on one property since late August, early September. It's always there early then mid October 5 or 6 more pop up all around it. My camera shows 7 different bucks using the scrape with 2 borderline shooters. That was 3 weeks ago.

Another property has had scrapes around for the last few weeks in the acorns. This past weekend, it really got hot as there are over 20 scrapes on the trails too and from the acorns with quite a few rubs mixed in as well. This property was logged about 5 or 6 years ago and most of the old oak and hickory was removed. Hunting was pretty bad since then but it seems to be on the rebound now that the new growth has provided cover and the oaks that are left are producing very well this year.

My third property I have yet to get a shooter on camera. It's a doe area with thick cover surrounded by crops and a small oak and hickory patch on one side. The bigger bucks usually don't move in until later October and I have a couple stands on the north side of the thickets overlooking the crop field, perfect for SW wind. We've passed on a few smaller does and does with youngsters so far.

My fourth property was just opened up by the town clearing the state ditch that runs through the center. It's going to be awesome this year as I've seen some real bruisers roaming through the thick stuff during archery every year. I will be staying out of there until the chasing begins. post-149813-14446838720371_thumb.jpgpost-149813-14446838933641_thumb.jpgI took a bad angle shot and grazed this monster there last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Charlie is a great author and I have read every book of his. I would suggest everyone here local to do the same because he really has a lot of knowledge of the NY deer woods. He has put in his time observing deer and really has a ton of info to share. As for the "moon/ rut predictions".... I dont buy it. I find it very intriguing but my 15 years of record keeping has proved otherwise. As we all know, November continues to be the best bet no matter what date the full moon falls.

I agree Charlie probably knows more about Whitetails then everyone on this thread combined. To me the rut is triggered by the amount of day light period, which usually gets less and less at the same time EVERY season. I walked a new property that I just received permission for that borders another property that I already hunt yesterday afternoon and there were scrapes all over the place.

Edited by JakeyBaby

I will be the first to admit that with the new "antlerless rule" in effect, it makes it very hard to justify heading to the woods. I hunt hard from day 1 of the season right up to the bitter end but I cant get myself to do it. Not that i dont or wont shoot does but because i dont want to blow up my best stands. Now I do have some secondary spots that i hunt, so i have done some hunting but the thought of even going into my best spots isnt going to happen. I dont think i need to say this but i am not a fan of this new law. Another week and its game on but until then i guess im headed to the southern tier.

It is just hear say but next year's plan is going to be interesting from what I have heard. They have been throwing around the earn a buck program, antler restrictions, and a hand full of others. I wish someone with some common sense would run/pilot these programs. Why not send out surveys asking what the hunter would prefer to see? In a lot of cases it is the property owners that dictate what happens. The surveys would cost money but can't cornell head the idea and get it covered in a grant of some sort?

Edited by Chas0218

It is just hear say but next year's plan is going to be interesting from what I have heard. They have been throwing around the earn a buck program, antler restrictions, and a hand full of others. I wish someone with some common sense would run/pilot these programs. Why not send out surveys asking what the hunter would prefer to see? In a lot of cases it is the property owners that dictate what happens. The surveys would cost money but can't cornell head the idea and get it covered in a grant of some sort?

I am hearing an early southern muzzleloader season is being discussed....I will lose my mind if they incorporate this....  What should happen is have the early muzzle season should start on the 3rd sat of November go for a week then have a ONE week gun season follow that.  Then Bow season should go till mid January.  there problems solved!  :P

I am hearing an early southern muzzleloader season is being discussed....I will lose my mind if they incorporate this....  What should happen is have the early muzzle season should start on the 3rd sat of November go for a week then have a ONE week gun season follow that.  Then Bow season should go till mid January.  there problems solved!  :P

I can't say I don't agree. I would rather see bow season, then muzzleloader season followed by "regular" season.They already have a muzzleloader season following bow in the North Country (Jefferson and surrounding areas.) I would also like to see 1 buck only. That would have made a lot more sense than this doe only crap.

Edited by Chas0218

In my favorite stand in Wyoming county tonight. " bedding overlook" stand. An awesome funnel. A hundred foot deep ravine to my right, an alfalfa field to my left, and a huge bedding area behind me.

Sent from my E6782 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

post-139598-14447693197383_thumb.jpg

I've been shooting every day a few arrows

My buddy hunted in SE Ohio yesterday afternoon on a fresh cut bean field. He had a 130" 10 pt grunting and chasing doe and then a huge buck he thinks was a 12 pt bashing a large tree on the field edge and then he ran off the 10 pt buck and started dogging the doe. He had him at 50 yds just too far for an ethical shot

Things should start getting jiggly with this colder weather

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Edited by dvdegeorge

So we are two weeks in and things have been slow. Really no surprise there or at least it shouldnt be. The good news is the woods is certainly a different place then it was 2 weeks ago. That summer pattern seems to be fading fast which typically leads to the October lull. Whether you believe in the lull or not, there seems to always be a lack in the action just before the rut heats things up. 

post-150305-14448561001614_thumb.jpg

Good luck Dude

I'm doing the backyard thing, trying to keep the Hamlin pieces quiet. This afternoons a lot better than this morning, I got soaked. Had a cute 21/2 yo walk by at 15 yards but no clear shot on a doe.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United