Legacy- 2015 Deer Season

Legacy

Matt mature deer and smaller. Real horns make a big difference! My success jumped dramatically when I began using real horns instead of a bag. It depends on the deer and stage of pre rut as to loud and aggressive or just tickling them together 

I never start out bashing them together more of a tickling and pushing match if that doesn't work I'll ramp things up.

I really use it as a tactic when I see a good buck out of range,I've had them run in so quick I could barely set the horns down.

Its really a tricky situation with the bow you have to have the right set up,a bucks ears will pin point almost exactly where the sound is coming from,when his eyes don't reveal a buck fight he will use his nose and circle down wind 9 out of 10 times

This deer passed by through thick brush I grunted but was out of grunting range.Grabbed the horns and brought him right in.He stopped and thrashed a tree and 

I shot him right before he was going to hit my wind as he circled my location

2gwi9li.jpg

Edited by dvdegeorge

i hunt Wayne county and have more sucess with the Estrus Can and grunt calling than rattling. i have very limited sucess with rattling there. I also hunt oswego county and have better sucess there rattling than in Wayne county  could just be the areas i hunt.......

Works where good bucks to doe ratio exists (competition).

Works in backwoods areas with no human background noises

Works near a buck's core area esp if local food source i.e. apples or acorns are being hit

Works better near cover as they can't pinpoint you as well

Use real antlers

Start by tickling them like a pre-fight then have at it loud and hard with grinding. I will take up a loud branch like a beech with leaves still attached into my stand and after pulling up my bow with my bow string I attach the branch to the bow string and send it down to the forest floor. When I am rattling I use my foot to move the bow string with the loud branch attached to make a ruckus in the leaf litter below. Begin with a vocalization of a loud-long challenge grunt or snort wheeze, rattle while grunting and end the session with a snort wheeze. This sequence is what I have witnessed in the wild with two bucks fighting. Drop your antlers and quickly grab your bow because they often come running in. Some of the biggest bucks I have ever seen or shot have come to rattling in late October.

7 minute fight, those guys were pretty serious.  Great points Gill.  Sometimes I'll keep a rope in my stand tied to a branch/log on the ground to rustle leaves. 

dvdegeorge...how do you like the browning cams?  I got 2 strike force's last season and they seem to out perform the others I have (bushnell/scoutguard).  Flash/detection range is awesome.  Have one on an apple tree in my yard that picks up activity in my driveway 70-80ft away.

Those buck fight pictures are fantastic.  I've seen bucks go at a few times in big fields at daybreak and only once got pictures on my camera at night but they were really crappy compared to those.  I think the turkeys are taking bets on the winner :lol: 

7 minute fight, those guys were pretty serious.  Great points Gill.  Sometimes I'll keep a rope in my stand tied to a branch/log on the ground to rustle leaves. 

dvdegeorge...how do you like the browning cams?  I got 2 strike force's last season and they seem to out perform the others I have (bushnell/scoutguard).  Flash/detection range is awesome.  Have one on an apple tree in my yard that picks up activity in my driveway 70-80ft away.

The Browning Dark Ops is new ,so far so good we shall see how long it lasts without breaking

Superb pics Dan. You should consider sending the one with the turkeys in it to one of the trail cam picture contests. I know that there are a few of them out there.

So cool!!!

Chris

A week long hiatus ended with a late plane ride home from Aruba last night. Back at it again this morning. As close to perfect morning as you could ask for.

Sent from my E6782 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

post-139598-14455997015904_thumb.jpg

Called in flock of birds and as I was watching them mill around 4 pt came in starring deep into woods next thing u know shooter 8 walks in logging trail showing a ton of attitude back all bent up then he cased 4 pt away screw the ducks go for the bucks matt

Edited by fisherman85