Legacy- 2015 Deer Season

Legacy

That's what I keeping telling my self, sit tight and it will happen. I lease 200 acres with all the food plots and that kind of stuff and also have a few other ma and pa spots. I just love chasing big whitetails so if it happens great of not I'm doing what I love to do! But...... I am really hoping for that great factor!

But keep it fun. I haven't shot a buck in 3 years. Missed one last year. I pass what I consider small bucks but do take a few doe every year. If for whatever reason I want to get out early or sleep in some mornings I do it. A big buck would be great but to not enjoy precious time off would be a waste.

After passing on several eights and nines in late October, I've sat in the woods the last two evenings without seeing a deer. Welcome to the rut! Boom or bust.

Congratulations Rob on a fine buck!

I saw an absolute slob chasing a doe on my drive to my new area. Had a couple small ones before legal light and nothing since. I had a dream last night that the speedo on my beater car started working again (weird I know). Followed by a dream I killed a big buck. Well the speedo was working this morning oddly enough...

Congratulations Rob, Chris, and others on some fine bucks arrowed! LOU smackdown for sure. Haven't been bowhunting since 1st weekend, but elk hunting in Wyoming was a nice trade off. Hope the rutting activity continues this weekend. Good luck and be safe.

Shawn

I've been following this thread while I was in Chicago this weekend for the bears game. Congrats to all who arrowed a nice one. My son and I have just three doe for the freezer so far. Saw a coyote at first light and just had two does nervously feeding around me for the last half hr, but no chasing of any kind yet in the thickets around. I'm in Olcott. Good luck guys.mepost-149813-14465580277207_thumb.jpgpost-149813-14465580471805_thumb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Edited by King Slammin

I'm at work today debating wether I should cancel my vacation and move it to the beginning of next week when the Temps come down a little bit. Just worried the big boys will be locked down by then and I won't see them???

I'm at work today debating wether I should cancel my vacation and move it to the beginning of next week when the Temps come down a little bit. Just worried the big boys will be locked down by then and I won't see them???

My dad had this week scheduled off from work but switched to next week. Second week of November is my favorite I always see more mature bucks chasing that week even though I'd say the quantity is usually chasing the first week.

temperature readings and Trail Timer data have shown that when the daytime temperature rises above 45 degrees Fahrenheit, deer activity comes to a screeching halt. With their heavy fur coat and inability to ventilate as humans do, deer simply cannot function in warm weather.

Although the rut will still take place whether there is warm weather or not, much of the breeding will often take place under the cover of darkness, during cooler temperatures.

Warm weather rut hunts should center around the morning hours, but you need to make sure that you are in the right location to be able to observe mature buck movements. Whether you are downwind of a quality bedding areas, between bedding areas, or right smack dab in the middle of a bedding areas, make sure that you are away from food, and into the thick and nasty stuff. Although mature bucks will still be active, it pays to be close to their daytime hide outs because during warm temperatures they won’t move far.

November 2, 2015 Big Buck

Video from this season

Video from last year

12194914_10153687609523745_4512865248381

12188106_10153687609723745_4789706986211

WoW that is a slammer, Congrats on your hunt, must have been a real sence of accomplishment after doctoring up the scrape then 2 years later you get to wrap your hands around his horns!! I still can't get over the body mass those northern bucks and does get. Again Congrats PAP.

In June I had surgery in my shoulder not knowing whether or not I would be able to hunt at all this fall. At the end of September I was given the clearance to start shooting a few shots a day working up to twelve after a few weeks. The poundage is down to 54 but accuracy is way up. My hunting has been limited and my sightings even more limited. Yesterday I had a late start after teaching and found myself a sweaty mess sitting getting to my stand just before 4. Forgot my cell phone, pull up rope and I think my brain. At 410 I did a sequence or bleating and grunting and this guy walked in. After five minutes he knew something was up and started to leave. He was at 47 yards and the shot was true. He ran only 55 yards.

A side story to this deer started on Saturday I let one of my baseball players hunt my stand. He texted me that he shot an 8 point but thought the shot was in the neck. They searched for the buck all day Saturday and Sunday and part of Monday but came up empty. The buck in the picture is the exact same one, hole in the neck and everything. Shot about 500 yards away from the initial shot. The deer weighed 196.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Lake Ontario United mobile app