Legacy- 2015 Deer Season

Legacy

Congrats that's a huge bodied deer! I think I have made the decision that I'm throwing in the towl for this week and taking Monday- wendsday off next week instead. Just hope the big boys arnt all tied up with the girls.

Edited by JakeyBaby

In June I had surgery in my shoulder not knowing whether or not I would be able to hunt at all this fall. At the end of September I was given the clearance to start shooting a few shots a day working up to twelve after a few weeks. The poundage is down to 54 but accuracy is way up. My hunting has been limited and my sightings even more limited. Yesterday I had a late start after teaching and found myself a sweaty mess sitting getting to my stand just before 4. Forgot my cell phone, pull up rope and I think my brain. At 410 I did a sequence or bleating and grunting and this guy walked in. After five minutes he knew something was up and started to leave. He was at 47 yards and the shot was true. He ran only 55 yards.

A side story to this deer started on Saturday I let one of my baseball players hunt my stand. He texted me that he shot an 8 point but thought the shot was in the neck. They searched for the buck all day Saturday and Sunday and part of Monday but came up empty. The buck in the picture is the exact same one, hole in the neck and everything. Shot about 500 yards away from the initial shot. The deer weighed 196.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Great job on the buck!  I too had shoulder surgery but just a bit later on Sept. 29 to repair a torn labrum in my bow arm.  I couldn't take it any longer and borrowed a crossbow last Monday and got it sighted in and ready to go.  Put up a ground blind and brushed it in and had my first sit Friday afternoon and had a couple small buck harassing a doe at 3:45 and a few other bucks and doe toward last light.  All day sit on Saturday and similar story - small bucks pushing some does but no big boys yet.  I did bring in a doe decoy on Saturday to help bring the deer's attention off of the recently placed blind and it seemed to work well.  3 different does did basically the same thing when they saw the deke - came to 10-20 yards with their focus on it and not me.  Of course no doe tag since I thought I'd still be hurting more from the surgery.  This was all hunting in PA.  After this warm front passes I think the daytime activity will really pick up.

Been enjoying reading everyone's updates and success stories!  Keep 'em coming!

That's great dvdegeorge.  I need to show that to my wife after she gets home from work, makes me dinner, and does the dishes :thinking:   That will go over like a lead balloon.  Big congratulations to Legacy and everybody who got big bucks so far :yes:   This thread is great.  So far I'm just seeing little bucks and the big guys are still nocturnal according to my trail cams but that will change any morning now. 

Edited by slipbob

I had a great 10 pt come out of the thicket 70 yds away about 3:45. I could not turn him and he made his way slowly across the 50 yd clearing and back into the thicket on the other side. Right where the two does from this morning went. Easily 140" maybe more. I try not stare at the rack once I decide on a shooter

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I try not stare at the rack once I decide on a shooter

Absolutely agree. These guys that come back with detailed discripts of deer they missed should be zeroing in on: possible route path, The boiler room, and body language!!!

Absolutely agree. These guys that come back with detailed discripts of deer they missed should be zeroing in on: possible route path, The boiler room, and body language!!!

For sure. I was watching for a reaction to my calls, which for the most part was none. I stopped him for a few seconds with a snort wheeze just as he was about to step into the thicket. I dragged a rag with some Antler Ice doe in heat 300 yds down the opening on my way in. I guess I should have gone 75 yds past instead of just making a 25 yd circle. There's always tomorrow.

Well back in the stand this morning after getting some work done yesterday. Another picture perfect early November morning. Light sw wind and 41 degrees, clear skies, high pressure. What more could you ask for?

Sent from my E6782 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Mock scrape reeled in another buck. Mature 7 pt, 80 yards downwind. He must of caught the scent, because he made a hard right turn, and walked directly to the scrape. A bit of sniffing around and left nose to the ground on a mission.

Sent from my E6782 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Yea I know it just drives me crazy every second that I'm not in the woods. From the moment I wake up till the time I close my eyes ALL think about is whitetails! And to top it all off its my wife birthday on Saturday, probably one of the best days to be in the woods this season, and I can't hunt!!!! Might have to give her the boot, thus November birthday crap is for the birds, unless of course it's your own.