Legacy- 2015 Deer Season

Legacy

A little side note for the 200 acres I lease. This the 3rd season on this lease, the 1st year it was crawling with deer. Double digit sightings almost every sit. Also killed to good bucks that season and saw many more. Following that season the property was logged! And I know everyone says that's great for the deer, but when when you already have as much cover as we do I think it did more harm then good. Since they logged, the last 2 seasons the deer sightings have dropped dramatically. Not sure If the logging had anything to do with it but it sure seems like it. I'm also starting to believe that the DEC numbers are way off then they think as far as the numbers of doe's. I think are buck to doe ratio is closer together then ever before in Monroe County.

A little side note for the 200 acres I lease. This the 3rd season on this lease, the 1st year it was crawling with deer. Double digit sightings almost every sit. Also killed to good bucks that season and saw many more. Following that season the property was logged! And I know everyone says that's great for the deer, but when when you already have as much cover as we do I think it did more harm then good. Since they logged, the last 2 seasons the deer sightings have dropped dramatically. Not sure If the logging had anything to do with it but it sure seems like it. I'm also starting to believe that the DEC numbers are way off then they think as far as the numbers of doe's. I think are buck to doe ratio is closer together then ever before in Monroe County.

Remember deer sightings don't necessarily correlate with the amount of deer on your property, it might just mean that the patterns of the deer have changed.

Logging increases cover short term (felled tree tops) and certainly can change patterns in the few weeks to months after a logging crew is in there, but long term it is great for a healthy forest as it increases forage and cover. It will increase the amount of deer with time, not decrease.

I'd get a deer inventory by putting out trail cameras in your off seasons and try and learn their new travel routes, bedding, etc.

I also think you need to create a sanctuary that you NEVER go in (it sounds like above that you want to cut shooting lanes and clear one of your bedding zones).

Good luck - read Dougherty's books.

Chris

Edited by momay4000

Yes we have multiple sanctuaries on the property that we never go in and we never could even if we wanted to lol. As far as clearing goes I want to create more huntable ground. For the amount of money spent to hunt a 200 acre parcel, realistically we are only able to hunt 75-100 at most. I don't want to go in and clear the property just make it a little more hunter friendly and be able to slip in to areas undetected. The nice thing is it accessible from 360 degrees. Just not huntable do to the amount of cover.

I love this thread! More of a reader then a poster but I have been following from pg1 .. but I do find it quite a downer to see JB crying everyday about not seeing deer kind of a buss kill to thread.. sorry to be harsh but I have a friend that whines so bad I can even share my success without hearing  him whine that he hunts just as hard and he doesn’t see deer and it really kills the mood.  Hunting is tough time and money does not always = deer.. It does get frustrating to see the BBD pic roll in when you are hunting hard and not getting the results you expect,  but if it gets to a point where you measure your success by other people’s success  and not enjoying the experience then maybe it’s time to take a step back and take a break.   

i say this with peace and love.  pls do not respond negatively. 

https://www.qdma.com/articles/does-logging-or-habitat-work-push-deer-away 

good read from QDMA : 

Does Logging or Habitat Work Push Deer Away? Edited by HOLY DIVER

Ok, I wasn't going to respond to the fact that I am a whiner...... but I changed my mind. By me going in the woods and reporting what I am seeing is whining? Yes this has been an extremely tuff season for me without a doubt! But I am not scared to report my unfortunates! So basically you want to come to this awsome thread and ONLY hear the successful stories an action that is happening in the woods? Well if that's what you want turn your TV or hunting video on because that's the only place you are going to get that. And what happens if say a new Comer to the sport of bow hunting stumbles across this thread? All they read Is that there are big bucks running around every tree in the woods when in all reality that's not fact? Forgive me for being a passionate bow hunter wether it's good or bad! And as far as me talking about the properties I hunt and what's going on with them, is to get feedback from others on here who may have dealt with the same sinario in the past. And yes as much time, energy, and money I put in to this sport you are damn right I want to see deer and be successful! So I guess my point is if you don't like what I have posted and am a downer to bad.

I believe the best is still yet to come. Record high temps this week certainly put a damper on things. The deer movement for me was early am only and nothing in the heat. I actually took yesterday and today "off" from hunting. Looking through my notes, this time last year i was pretty frustrated. The last 10 days of the season easily provided the most action for me. 

It usually does. I see the biggest bucks just before gun opening. I'm guessing the just got done getting their rocks off with mama and they're back looking for more, but at this time lass does want to play. Which means more time on the hoof for bucks. JMO

silverfoxcharters.net

I decided to do a mid day sit next to a know hole up area. Sure enough right at noon a small six gets chased out of the bedding area nice shooter 8 grunting and weasing on his tail. He stops at 50 and watches the little guy walk right by me. He returns to his doe giving her a calming grunt. Ten minutes later Mr 4 pt crashes the party only to get sent right by me too. So now I wait, rain may be the only bad thing coming... BTW these deer are bedded within 100 yds of a house and 60 yds of a road. I can hear the guy coughing and banging stuff. Find the spot with thick cover away from the rest of the deer herd.

Sent from my C771 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I snuck into a small hardwoods stand surrounded by thickets on 3 sides this morning. Bean field on the west. Bumped a few deer at the beginning but managed to sneak into my stand by 5:45 alright. It was game on as soon as I pulled my bow up. I could hear deer walking in the woods. A huge bodied deer made his way straight to me and stopped broadside at 13 yds, and I was tempted to shoot but it was way too dark. He worked his way around to the edge of the thicket and by then there was enough light to see a wide, thick rack to go with the massive body and neck. All I could do was watch him disappear into the thicket. Another small buck skirted the edge shortly after, a coyote snuck by just out of range, and a 5 pt came in off the bean field, passed by 30 yds from me and headed to the opposite thicket (I got some film of him). I'm kicking myself for not shooting that big one, it was an easy shot.

My buddy had a hot doe around him this morning and passed on 5 different bucks that were following her. He said she had her mouth wide open and looked beat from being chased all night.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Just catching up on the thread...congrats to you guys that connected...stay with it Matt...every bow hunter has been there.  If you're planning on keeping the lease for a while, I'd suggest a couple small openings planted with fruit trees (5 or 6 in each field/shooting lane and get trees that drop late).  Initial investment $100 or so per field, but trees bear fruit for decades and these little plots are irresistible to deer. 

Ok, I wasn't going to respond to the fact that I am a whiner...... but I changed my mind. By me going in the woods and reporting what I am seeing is whining? Yes this has been an extremely tuff season for me without a doubt! But I am not scared to report my unfortunates! So basically you want to come to this awsome thread and ONLY hear the successful stories an action that is happening in the woods? Well if that's what you want turn your TV or hunting video on because that's the only place you are going to get that. And what happens if say a new Comer to the sport of bow hunting stumbles across this thread? All they read Is that there are big bucks running around every tree in the woods when in all reality that's not fact? Forgive me for being a passionate bow hunter wether it's good or bad! And as far as me talking about the properties I hunt and what's going on with them, is to get feedback from others on here who may have dealt with the same sinario in the past. And yes as much time, energy, and money I put in to this sport you are damn right I want to see deer and be successful! So I guess my point is if you don't like what I have posted and am a downer to bad.

Matt I have been off all week and like you have hunted hard and not seen one shooter. I hunt north Greece and Hamlin and have seen very few rubs and scrapes. The three or four one and a half and two and a half year old bucks were just cruising. No swollen necks and although there must be some rutting activity I don't think in this area that much is going on.

In regards to the "whining" comments, ironic that someone that has "holy" in their name is passing judgement on others. I have a few words for him but I think they violate the terms of agreement lol.

Hunting and fishing can be a lot of fun but there are certainly times where even just seeing some action goes a long way!

Well it's blowing 25+ and is close to 70 outside. Time to grab my gear and get out there. Hey, you never know.

Matt,

I used to think that getting your "own" big piece of woods would give you a deer utopia after a few years of selective harvest and it will definitly will without a doubt give you better chances of hunting mature deer. However if the deer in your area are not active there is nothing you can do to make them active. My buddies and I have about 10 properties between us from 15 to  about 200 acres that we have access to, only a couple of the smaller ones we have sole access. The furthest properties are maybe 15 miles apart. With this number of properties we have many options based on conditions and deer activity. I would say that our single best scouting tool is late night or early morning spotting. We start in August and if by hunting season we have not seen what we feel is a quality buck on a property most likely that property will not be hunted much that year or may be used to harvest some does. Prior to the 2015 season we could use this early season spotting to put us on those summer feeding patterns to get our chance at a shooter. Once the pre-rut and rut kick in we use it to find where that activity is strongest and hunt those areas. Then late season we use it to find the late season feeding patterns. Shooting a mature buck in New York with archery gear requires patience, luck, skill, luck, hard work, luck and the attitude that you may not fill your tag if your personal minimum does present itself. It sounds like you are on a good piece but my advice for next year would be to find a few more spots even if they are only a few acres to give you more choices when your goto piece is not producing. Most likely its just a matter of time until they turn on in your area and this cold front may be what triggers them. Good luck and keep posting your results

king, i have this happen many times over the years , he heard something in his area and struts in ...no tiptoeing you could of grunted him in at light ,unles he busted yer sent,,,,,,,or he was just checkin his terf in the AM..his pattern will not change from that spot . if you could get just on the edge of the woods where he headed off to,and the wind is right you can call him in tomorrow,,but he is agressive and will only give you a few second shooting situation so be quiet and ready after the quiet "walkin grunt call"

Congratulations on a beautiful buck Ray K.  I've hunted every morning this week and most afternoons in 5R and still just seeing one or two very young bucks cruising and a doe and fawn here and there between two properties most sits.  Trail camera pulls were showing a huge spike in photos taken last week during the full moon.  Pulled cards again yesterday the total number of pictures is way down since Saturday.  I have three nice bucks I'm hunting and still not a single photo of anyone of them during the day.  Usually around here I start seeing the bigger ones around Veteran's day to the gun opener trailing does just after first light and once in a while in the evening. 

Ray nice deer. Posts r great with good info. Tuesday i had a road trip to Jamestown from Rochester. I counted 7 dead deer total. If pre rut were in there would be a lot. I myself thought this was the week. We have 1 less shooter buck in Kendal. Neighbor got it 140ish. As far asGreece and hilton two nice deer wete hit by cars. One on the parkway last night. Hunting now seen 1 lonely doe

king, i have this happen many times over the years , he heard something in his area and struts in ...no tiptoeing you could of grunted him in at light ,unles he busted yer sent,,,,,,,or he was just checkin his terf in the AM..his pattern will not change from that spot . if you could get just on the edge of the woods where he headed off to,and the wind is right you can call him in tomorrow,,but he is agressive and will only give you a few second shooting situation so be quiet and ready after the quiet "walkin grunt call"

Ray,

It happens to me a lot too. I was able to harvest a nice 130" 8 pt a couple yrs ago while it was still pretty dark, but that was on a field edge. In the woods, u never know what's in the way at that twilight period. This spot is only about 75 acres with mostly thickets and maybe 5 acres of hardwoods. The does usually stage here before heading to bed in the am or going to the fields at night. I have one stand smack dab in the middle of the thicket that I will sneak into for an all day sit but the rest are on the perimeters. A roads border two sides. He didn't bust me, just kind of disappeared into the twilight. So I'm back out here with my son hoping to catch him cruising into the woods again tonight. Haven't had much response to calling yet this year, not like past years. I think the heat has the activity slowed down to just seeking for the most part

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United