Legacy- 2015 Deer Season

Legacy

Thanks. Are u the choo-choo from the Oneida Lake Diehards on ice shanty? I started ice fishing there last year and LOVE it. 2 1/2 hr ride but il be there every weekend in January.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Yes...Gotta love Oneida lake for ice fishin'! Sure helps the winter fly by....then before you know it , it's Spring! Good luck out there on the ice King Slammin....still can't get over the size of that buck you bagged, congrats again.!

Sooooo ssslllooooooooow! 1 deer and it's dead on a perfect morning.

Same for me. Last 5 days only deer I've seen come out after 5 each night at opposite end of field. No daytime movement

Sent from my SM-G900V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

so i still have a buck tag and its getting down to the wire. i have had very limited hunting time this year, I might have maybe10 sits in so far but I have a 5 day stretch free this week just for hunting .   last night I passed on a 100-110"ish 8pt at 10yds he was young and looked like he was walking on stilts. If you guys get to this situation do you risk eating tag for a shot a mature deer right to the end?  

Yes...Gotta love Oneida lake for ice fishin'! Sure helps the winter fly by....then before you know it , it's Spring! Good luck out there on the ice King Slammin....still can't get over the size of that buck you bagged, congrats again.!

Thanks again. Maybe I'll see u out there this year. I'll touch base w/ you on ice shanty. I need some local advice on ice conditions since I use my 4 wheeler to get out there mainly. Good luck

so i still have a buck tag and its getting down to the wire. i have had very limited hunting time this year, I might have maybe10 sits in so far but I have a 5 day stretch free this week just for hunting . last night I passed on a 100-110"ish 8pt at 10yds he was young and looked like he was walking on stilts. If you guys get to this situation do you risk eating tag for a shot a mature deer right to the end?

Yes absolutely. Fill the freezer with does!

Sent from my E6782 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

That is your call entirely. When you're ready, u won't even have to question it. I've killed enough small bucks that it just doesn't do it for me anymore. I would rather film them in hopes they make it to year 4 or 5. I have 45 hrs in the tree this past week alone before I had an opportunity at the one I shot yesterday. My wife HATES it, but it's an addiction. Last year I didn't get out as much and I ate my buck tag for archery. Legacy is spot on, if it's meat your after, the does are there for the taking. Once u decide to hunt a mature deer, it's a whole new experience. It's like hunting a different animal really. You can't think the same way as early season or hunt over food plots. Now is one of the best times, especially if u have a 5 day period to concentrate on nothing but hunting. Get in the brush, use some Antler Ice, blow that grunt call, and wait. IT WILL HAPPEN.

well guys we all dont have jobs where we can hunt all the time and we dont all have a bunch of acres to hunt.  This year i started to new job so had very limited vacation time to put towards bow hunting.  I have just a couple sits this year and saw very few deer with only 1 mature buck sighting which wasnt on my property. The land i hunt is only 15 acres with all the land around me getting a lot of pressure so there are very few mature bucks in the woods.  I dont have trail cams with multiple shooter bucks on them like all you guys do and Ill be honest i was just happy to get the deer that i did.   I do believe in shooting does for the meat but this year it just wasnt meant to be during bow anyways.  

I don't put my way of hunting on anyone else, everyone is free to shoot what ever they like and what ever makes them happy.

I've killed enough deer to be ok without shooting a buck

When I release an arrow or pull the trigger and walk up to a dead deer I want to be excited and happy, not having a feeling of kissing my sister

Everyone has to choose what's good for them as long as you are happy that's all that matters

No disrespect meant to anyone here

well guys we all dont have jobs where we can hunt all the time and we dont all have a bunch of acres to hunt. This year i started to new job so had very limited vacation time to put towards bow hunting. I have just a couple sits this year and saw very few deer with only 1 mature buck sighting which wasnt on my property. The land i hunt is only 15 acres with all the land around me getting a lot of pressure so there are very few mature bucks in the woods. I dont have trail cams with multiple shooter bucks on them like all you guys do and Ill be honest i was just happy to get the deer that i did. I do believe in shooting does for the meat but this year it just wasnt meant to be during bow anyways.

You are exactly right. Supporting your family should always come first. And to do that, it usually involves having a job, and that takes time. I started my business when I was 19 and spent many years married to it. We survived on button bucks, does, and ramen noodles most winters. Lol. It was only a few years ago that I was able to finally enjoy the time that it allows me.to fish and hunt. My parents and my wife's parents were slaves to the dollar. We swore to never live like that. I only produce jobs from April to November. I could be rich if I worked hard all year but I don't want that. Time has become so much ore valuable than money. Good luck

Spent the morning in the woods on state land and had an OK morning. Saw three bucks and one big doe. Let the two little bucks walk and could not get a shot on a decent buck. All three bucks were nose to the ground and on the move.

After seeing the pic of the monster in front of my stand yesterday, I hopped back in there this morning. My son had action as soon as he climbed up, with a big buck (maybe the guy from the camera) chasing little bucks out of the brush behind him. He said he could hear him grunting and snort/wheezing. As the sun started to come up I did a series of trailing grunts and immediately had one crashing around in front of me. He came out about 70 yds away and headed straight at me with the hair on his back standing straight up and head low. I knew by his body he was mature so I started to draw. He caught me at half draw and looked at me through the branches. After 20 seconds or so, he turned broadside and started heading out in front of me. Once he turned his head I came to full draw and settled the pin on him and there was one branch in the way. Had to get on my toes and that gave me just enough room. THWACK!!! He took off back to where he came and stopped at the edge of the woods. He did a little stumble, fell over and died right there, 40 yds from impact. The Muzzy took off the top of his heart. And jellied both his lungs. A nice wide 10 point with split brow tines. He dressed at 219 lbs.attachicon.gifImageUploadedByLake Ontario United1447004036.253531.jpgattachicon.gifImageUploadedByLake Ontario United1447004135.499170.jpgattachicon.gifImageUploadedByLake Ontario United1447004167.716177.jpgattachicon.gifImageUploadedByLake Ontario United1447004239.367880.jpgattachicon.gifImageUploadedByLake Ontario United1447004272.420910.jpgattachicon.gifImageUploadedByLake Ontario United1447004325.798637.jpg

That's a Yamaha Grizzly 700. What a tank!!

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByLake Ontario United1447004443.352565.jpg

Looks like you slammed a king deer!  that body size is the biggest I have ever seen.

WTG!

I've said it before on a different thread.  If the deer walks in and your heart rate skyrockets and your excited then that's the buck you should shoot.  Don't let the hunting shows ruin your time in the outdoors anymore than they already have.  No matter how big or small a buck you shoot there will always be naysayers.  If it makes you happy and excited to harvest it let it fly!

so i still have a buck tag and its getting down to the wire. i have had very limited hunting time this year, I might have maybe10 sits in so far but I have a 5 day stretch free this week just for hunting . last night I passed on a 100-110"ish 8pt at 10yds he was young and looked like he was walking on stilts. If you guys get to this situation do you risk eating tag for a shot a mature deer right to the end?

No right or wrong answer. Being an 8a/c guy it stinks that after bow the tag is useless. Really going to miss late season. Tonight's my last night of vacation but I'm not shooting unless it's a big deer for me. My biggest was a nine around 110-115 inches. Big four year old deer. I have never even seen bucks like some people here have shot. It's been a great week and I can say that regardless of what happens tonight or the rest of the season it's been and will be great.

I put a roadkill deer in the backyard last night and the motion detector and trailcam are set as well. The receiver is upstairs in my house and the 17 and 204 are ready to rock. When the alarm sounds the light shines out the spare bedroom and the fur is going to fly. Will be posting pics soon.