Legacy- 2015 Deer Season

Legacy

That's awesome. I trap after hunting season and the thought of sitting in a recliner with a rifle on my lap, watching some tv by the fire waiting for the motion detector to go off is heaven compared to what I go through. Kill them all!!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Found out my Littlest has strep throat so I had to pull the plug at 10:30 to come home! Only a small buck showed himself this morning. Bedded down 75 yrds behind me and got up around 9:30 and came 10 yrds from me. Maybe heard me calling all morning and couldn't take it anymore? Back at it Wednesday, a big boy had to show himself eventually.

That's awesome. I trap after hunting season and the thought of sitting in a recliner with a rifle on my lap, watching some tv by the fire waiting for the motion detector to go off is heaven compared to what I go through. Kill them all!!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

It's a lot more work than that, when the alarm goes off I have to walk upstairs!!!!

I hunt 3 different small pieces in Rush,Mendon and Wheatland(80 acres,11 acres and 12 acres)

I have taken 1 deer on each property this season

These are by no means sanctuaries as they see a lot of pressure come gun season and 2 of the areas get some surrounding pressure during archery season.

I am a firm believer that every piece of property holds some good mature buck 

Hunt with the right wind and hunt the right areas  and good things happen,also you have to pass the smaller stuff to get a big one

I always say to myself "you gotta be in it to win it".Once you punch your tag you are out of the game

I am with you Duckman I generally see a couple mature bucks each year and usually at least one big old scraggly buck. Last year I saw 18 different bucks in bow season, 3 mature and one old warrior. This year I've seen one mature buck, one 2.5 year old and only 5 small bucks. Overall for the season from what I've seen I think more hunters have killed big mature deer this year than in the past though.

One thing I think has contributed to me not see the mature deer or deer in general as much as I usually do is the wind. I don't know about everyone else but I pay attention to the wind more then the road when I am driving. On the the way to and from my stand and while on stand. This year has been absolutely horrible with the wind swirling. When you think you have the perfect set up, you sit down and 5 mins later the wind is hitting you in the back of neck. Then 2 mins later it's cutting across your cheeks and tip of your nose. It drives me nuts!! And there is nothing you can do about it.

Edited by JakeyBaby

One thing I think has contributed to me not see the mature deer or deer in general as much as I usually do is the wind. I don't know about everyone else but I pay attention to the wind more then the road when I am driving. On the the way to and from my stand and while on stand. This year has been absolutely horrible with the wind swirling. When you think you have the perfect set up, you sit down and 5 mins later the wind is hitting you in the back of neck. Then 2 mins later it's cutting across your cheeks and tip of your nose. It drives me nuts!! And there is nothing you can do about it.

This morning's was bad until sunrise. Seems to be holding E NE now.

Sent from my E6782 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I have to agree that the mature buck is a different animal and if you are lucky enough to get a taste it is very hard to settle for anything less. But also do not condone anyone for shooting less.. unless you keep shooting bucks until you get one you are proud of like my neighbor that uses  his dads, daughters wife’s tags to rid the woods of management 4pts .. that’s another story! .    It took about 20 basket racks and tons of doe under my belt before I was convinced that if I want mature deer I need to stop hunting deer’s and start hunting A deer.    

It’s funny when I see a 100†buck, I think that would have been a trophy for me ten years ago! Then I hope he walks to my brother who would be absolute thrilled with a buck like that  or makes it to next year.  Although not filling every tag every year  is tough to swallow sometimes  (that use to be my goal) I have had great success and not every hunt has to end with a P&Y to be a great memory and experience. I run 2 cams all year and I might get 2-4 mature deer  on film  a year.   I get about one chance a year to take a mature buck to say its though would be an understatement  if I don’t capitalize on my one chance there is a very good chance that I won’t get another. When I get my hands on one it’s is truly an accomplishment to be proud of.