Legacy- 2015 Deer Season

Legacy

Hard to see but there is a bedded for in my pic. Still in front of me now 60yds and not a care in the world. Wish she'd come closer. Still looking for my first archery deer.

Try a fawn or doe bleat mouth call next time you see one out of bow range like that ST.

Lockdown is on! gotta get lucky and find one finishing up with doe A and going to find doe B! They have torn up and stunk up two of my favorite hole up areas. I need patience on a stand! gets tough seeing nothing and knowing they could be 80 yds away and you never know it.

Sent from my C771 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

The only place I like Blue Jays is in the deer woods.  They are like a deer early warning system!  If its quiet and they start going nuts, you better pay attention because there is a deer close by somewhere.

Red Squirrels on the other hand....... suck.  When I was about 7 yrs old following my grandfather through the mountains of Vermont he stopped one day and asked me if I had ever "barked" a red squirrel?  Of course I had no idea what he was talking about.  This irritating squirrel shows up next to us and starts their usual BS, so my grandfather takes aim and inch inside the tree from the squirrel with his .270 and BANG! Squirrel falls the 2 feet to the ground.  I go over to look at it and it is full of splinters! He  "barked" the squirrel.  After an hour of sitting there and seeing nothing, another irritating little squirrel shows up.  He asked if I wanted to try and "Bark the squirrel"?   "Absolutely!"  He gives me the rifle which is a pre-64 Winchetser Model 70, heavy as hell but an awesome rifle.  I draw down on the squirrel and fire and I don't see any squirrel??? I turn around and look at him and he is just about falling over he is laughing so hard :rofl:  :rofl: .  He tells me I missed the tree and absolutely vaporized the squirrel!  We got back to camp and he told that story a dozen times, each time laughing just as hard as the first time.

I have that rifle now and have refinished the stock to its original beauty.  Since our unit went to rifle a few years ago I have carried and shot a few bucks and does with it. My grandfather carried it, my dad carried it and I have carried it.  To say it is my most prized rifle would obviously be a huge understatement.  When My son is old enough it will become his just as it became mine.  Damn, I miss my Grandfather even after all these years.

Just got settled in, carried a stand into the edge of a swamp and set it to sit! Talk about a workout! Thick nasty and wet. Made some noise, but hope the wind blocked most of it. Spot as never been touched as long as I have hunted here. Fingers crossed...

Front thick few with very little shooting lanes.....post-148213-14474464953103_thumb.jpg

Cattails behind me.....

post-148213-14474465315653_thumb.jpg

The only place I like Blue Jays is in the deer woods.  They are like a deer early warning system!  If its quiet and they start going nuts, you better pay attention because there is a deer close by somewhere.

Red Squirrels on the other hand....... suck.

Everyone has a red squirrel story. I do find they will chatter when they see deer so they can early detect for you. Agree how important blue jays are. When I hear them go off, all my focus is on the direction they are calling from. They are money for getting your gun or bow pointed in the right direction. The other helpful critter are hawks. When hunting big timber and I am undecided which way to walk, a hawk chipping high overhead will often be a tell that there are deer below them.