Legacy- 2015 Deer Season

Legacy

This is my last sit for the season tonight unfortunately unless I can get out Friday evening. Overall of the 3 seasons that I can say I really got out and bow hunted hard, including 2 years ago when I also didn't get a buck, this season has been the most frustrating. Shooters staying out of range, does staying out of range to myself completely blowing a 25 yard opportunity at a 140-150 class deer on my second morning sit it's been hard. That being said its still been fun and I love just getting out into the stand and seeing deer and wildlife in general.

November 18

Partly cloudy skies

47 degrees

SSE wind 15mph with occasional gusts 20+

Lots of deer movement just before daylight this morning. 3 deer in the dark and none since sunrise.

Sent from my E6782 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

post-139598-1447849166309_thumb.jpg

Speaking of ladies, I had a very strange close encounter this morning (comedians, hold back the comments, please). After an unproductive couple of hours in the wind in Albion, I stopped by my property on the way home while one of the neighbors went in from the back to look for a doe he shot that crossed the boundary line (he found it). I thought he might bounce something to me, so I wanted to be in a stand close by. Anyway, I pull into where we park, which is incidentally where I pee and empty my full pee bottles, and isn't there an eight point and a doe that he's tending not twenty yards from the truck? So, I get out of the truck, go to the back and grab my bow and release, the whole while they don't move. Then I sneak to the front of the vehicle, step out and slowly slide toward them. I had the doe dead-to-rights at 15 yards. The buck was ~23 yards away in a small stand of pine and tamarack, but there were too many branches for a clean shot. So I drifted to my left, looking the whole time.

There's no happy ending to this, unless you count failing to injure a deer a happy ending, which I guess it is. I never found a lane, didn't take a crappy shot, and eventually the doe blew and it was game over. Still, very cool being so close in such an unusual circumstance. 

Oh, and I'm willing to part with a few bottles of pee for $$$  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:

Fruits of the season

33y48s0.jpg

Cameras have slowed up as far as pictures,spot with the monster has the neighbors dog in pictures near every day,I again stopped and asked that they try to keep him out of the woods

I did get one nice video of a good buck on the other property from 2 days ago,this spot has much more camera activity not sure if its due to no dog running around my set

I'd be happy to see him Sunday afternoon

for the past 2 years i have seen a smasher on the border of a very heavy patch of brush,mexican bamboo and river grass,i did not bow hunt this area yet this year.. but yesterday i put up "The Stand" 35 ft high i can see 200 yds in every direction it might be a 5 min sit or all day ray sit...but i know he is there............i think...but with 40 years under me belt  i'm gonna bet on me....i have to enter the river 1/2 mile up stream paddle in the dark and get the 20 yds to my tree canoe hiding spot....i might even bring my video camera...if nuttin else it sounds like fun............if i dont forget my shells..........coffee ,,,buck pee,doe pee,pee bottle ect ect,the .270 was puttin 1 in groups at 100yds and 6in at 180 yds so with my hopes as high as my stand im starting to get a little excited ....only problem is when we pulled our trail cams today their was a smasher 12 pt 10 miles away in the area i got my bow buck....what was that old Pro/Am saying......................................"The only thing worse than having a plan, is having a plan and not sticking to it"............well their is always sunday......................... I'm sticking to the river bottom big buck....unless?????

the heart is 5 in on a big deer if im off by 1in at 180 yds im good with that,,i havent missed one since the new law in the southern zone.1 shot 1 kill..................but in my youth with the browning A-5 I might of been one of those volley of 5 shots in the woods,i just smile in my stand now when i hear that.........and wait...........and hope i dont come unglued before the shot.....just wanna beat this one  ..its been 2 years since my last 150 plus

post-139681-0-05805100-1447893845_thumb.jpg

post-139681-0-35239500-1447893860_thumb.jpg

post-139681-0-79699100-1447893931_thumb.jpg

this one was poached on private land 1/2 mile from my secret spot  27in inside  ,hopefully the one im after will match it but as we know them big boys are happy laying all day and their is some tall genetics in this area, also judging from the print size it will be a goodun.

Oh I know that spot by the Mexican bamboo Ray! I have a ground blind right near there. Maybe I will see you Saturday? I will listen intently for your paddle strokes then start hammering on my grunt tube to mask the sounds of your approach. You should have no trouble getting into your stand undetected.