Legacy- 2015 Deer Season

Legacy

Got a buddy in 8f near port byron that picks and chooses. He said he could've tagged out opening weekend, like his son did. But he got a nice 8 on friday, and said he's been eyeing some big does... he really rubs it in, but I know his track record only big deer with a smoke pole every time. And here about 8 miles east of him it's tough going for 3 of us on this property only killing 3 deer and I got 2 of them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Depends where ya go. I personally believe dec numbers are so high due to suburbs. Biggest buck I have seen was in rural neighborhood. They know where the food an safety is. Stateland is an over grown joke. I find pokets of deer in high numbers a mile away from areas that seem desolate. If i dont see em on decent conditions i move till i find em. Could be couple hundred yrds is nite an day difference. As far as Dec numbers, dont know what the answer is. I dont think alot of deer kills are reported or the road kills.

I hear yea about the suburbs.... they give out 7f tags (here) like candy because we have all of syracuse, auburn, and skaneatlas.... those areas hold alot of deer. They're allowing night hunting with crossbows in Fayetteville for instance. So all the rednecks in my neighborhood get extra 7f tags....when the dec is trying to focus those extras for higher density areas. Guys pushed 200 acres right down the road from me and only shot one small buck.

Screenshot_2015-11-29-08-05-11.png

Just did a screenshot of my inlaws land. They gave us 2 acres to put a double wide on 5 years ago, so this my backyard. I have only saved way point on left side awhile ago, going out to the back field. They own a corner of that pond, there is an aces road that hooks around that point to get to back field. Thats all swamp for almost 2 miles. They got lots of places to hide out here.

Shot a big doe last night in 8g. She was being pushed around by a buck but never saw him just heard his grunts. Been real tough out here this year though. Ive seen all season this year what i usually see in 1 sit in previous years

Sent from my LG-D631 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

post-152176-14488031557079_thumb.jpg

Just pondered my posts....should there be a radius for these high density suburban areas to get extra tags. And the agricultural just gets 2, because there are way fewer car deer accidents in my neck of the woods than would say a village or city area??

I hunt in southern ontario here so this may not apply to you guys..but here our deer #'s are down in most areas but this year especially, the freaking wind has been so I consistant its not even funny. This past week the wind changed 360 deg probly atleast a dozen times.

I'm starting to thing with the wind changing like this the deer have no idea where and when it is safe to move..

I'm not sure this might be a fetched tail, we have no where near the amount of deer you guys have, I've taken a buck and a doe, but I've concentrated my efforts in the least pressured spots I have. we get no extra tags here for the most part, only a few wmu's in ontario still give out additionals now when back 5 years ago you could take as many as 6 per guy.

I'm sorry to think this but it looks like your dec might be shooting themselves in the foot giving out tags like that.

Our second one week gun hunt starts tomorrow here, we'll see what happens.

X2! Same as our King Salmon that they say are above average in numbers. We decided a long time ago that we were not shooting any doe on our 200 acres this season. There just isn't enough. 1 doe kill equals maybe 3-4 deer next year. I talked to the neibering properties to me yesterday and every single one is concerned and just plain out not seeing deer. It's an absolute shame! I really wish NYS cared about there natural resources that brings in an astronomical amount of money year after year.

It's kinda funny how me being concerned well over a month ago labeled me as a "whiner", yet now for the most part most are agreeing and starting to "whine". Lol So maybe if you guys are sick if not seeing deer then maybe we should all just take a step back and take a break and not be concerned about what's going on!

Not a shot this morning in 8a along the lake. Very disappointing that the deer numbers (not harvest)are down across the board. The DEC needs to look at the way they calculate harvests. They lead us to believe that deer numbers are high based on bogus end of the season harvest calculations. Then take away parts of our season for doe only harvests. It's time for a change, salmon numbers are down, deer numbers are low and the changes that are made are not thought out

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

The wmu I hunt here, you get one tag only. And in a neighbouring wmu you can get one extra doe tag. But anyways, in the area I hunt we get the one tag and that's IT from October 1-december31. That tag is also your tag for one of 2 SG/ML hunts depending on which one you pick to hunt in. One is first week of November, the other is first week of December.

And that one tag is good for a doe in the wmu you applied for or buck anywhere in ontario. You see our conservation officers out a lot more lately with the minimal amount of tags givin out.

But I've noticed with the tag cutbacks you hear of a lot more people getting nailed for hunting without a tag or doing the old "tag shouffle" just because they want to hunt the whole season.

Edited by Nontypical

It's kinda funny how me being concerned well over a month ago labeled me as a "whiner", yet now for the most part most are agreeing and starting to "whine". Lol So maybe if you guys are sick if not seeing deer then maybe we should all just take a step back and take a break and not be concerned about what's going on!

Nice! LOL. I've been saying it since 2002, its so bad here on our farm in chemung county and my land in Schuyler that we are not hunting any of it. Some areas are loaded but they are small pockets or in city limits. I'll put two to three hundred miles on a night driving in rural areas working. And the deer aren't there. I hope some changes are coming in the future. I'd love a reduced doe tag limit, a one buck limit, and an antler restrictions. I hunt out West and you can see how management works.

Deer numbers are low, Must be all the mountain lions... internet says this trail cam photo of this year-long buck was taken this past week in the town of Newfane.

Lol I saw that one too. There's a new one every year.

Did you see the one of the cat following the buck? A buddy of mine swore it was in the southern tier on a friend of his property. I told him as cool as it was that there was a cat in the area that it was even cooler that he had mule deer on his property.

Did you see the one of the cat following the buck? A buddy of mine swore it was in the southern tier on a friend of his property. I told him as cool as it was that there was a cat in the area that it was even cooler that he had mule deer on his property.

:)

Sent from my E6782 using Lake Ontario United mobile app