Legacy- 2015 Deer Season

Legacy

Deer numbers are low, Must be all the mountain lions... internet says this trail cam photo of this year-long buck was taken this past week in the town of Newfane.

I live in Newfane and that pic is definitely from Texas. There was one on Ridge rd this yr with pictures from a very reliable person however. Looked like a small Tom. I'll see if I can dig up the picture from Facebook. I saw one in summer of 2005. Thought it was a deer until the long tail whipped around. It was on Lake Rd, in a field with kids playing next door. A few other people saw it that summer too but then it disappeared. We have a few bears in Newfane as well. I guess if Bears can migrate here so can mountain lions.

Thank you everyone!! It has by far been my toughest season to date. He just started showing up on camera the last 3 days, hunted a different spot where he was yesterday with only to have a coyote run off all the deer. Moved to the other side of the property where I was getting only night and early morning pics if him. Carried a latter in with me this afternoon to hunt the turnip field that I've yet to sit. Seen a spike, smaller 8pt and 12 doe filter into the field. I caught him out of the corner of my eye at 25yrds! Turned the scope down to 3 power and cocked the hammer back, as soon as I did it echoed in the house i was in and doe through her head up! Once she settled I swung the gun on him and bang! He went 50 yrds or so I could barely see him tip over with all the smoke! Awsome sit!

Check this out! You wont believe who is number one on the list! TOP 10 WORST DEER HUNTING STATES

http://www.wideopenspaces.com/top-10-worst-deer-hunting-states/

So true, NY is in trouble with its mature deer population. DEC take a look at how Ohio does it and make a plan to get NY out of that number ones worst place to hunt whitetail

Sent from my C771 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I would take exception with that article placing NY last.  First, can't fight genetics.  You can manage for age structure, so NY may fall short there.  Second, who doesn't like hunting in snow?  Third, I have hunted in states that bait......guys sitting over a bag of sugar beets.  Guys setting up on other hunters bait piles......  This is not hunting.  Forth, if you like taking a long still-hunt or go tracking in those other states ......forget it.   NY has the big blocks of timber that allow you to "hunt" not just shoot.

I would take exception with that article placing NY last.  First, can't fight genetics.  You can manage for age structure, so NY may fall short there.  Second, who doesn't like hunting in snow?  Third, I have hunted in states that bait......guys sitting over a bag of sugar beets.  Guys setting up on other hunters bait piles......  This is not hunting.  Forth, if you like taking a long still-hunt or go tracking in those other states ......forget it.   NY has the big blocks of timber that allow you to "hunt" not just shoot.

Genes aren't an issue I have seen deer in areas that trump Ohio. I have personally seen and shot deer that are wall hangers in the trophy buck states. NY has the real estate to keep and produce B&C deer if the brown it's down mentality is fixed.

This isn't a good picture but my sister and I saw this guy just outside of Newark NY. She took the photo with her iPhone and zoomed in as much as she could. He is the biggest buck I have seen ever. 

IMG_3036_zpshebtjzts.jpg

IMG_3034_zps5e3zklfv.jpg

Edited by Chas0218