Legacy- 2015 Deer Season

Legacy

I would take exception with that article placing NY last. First, can't fight genetics. You can manage for age structure, so NY may fall short there. Second, who doesn't like hunting in snow? Third, I have hunted in states that bait......guys sitting over a bag of sugar beets. Guys setting up on other hunters bait piles...... This is not hunting. Forth, if you like taking a long still-hunt or go tracking in those other states ......forget it. NY has the big blocks of timber that allow you to "hunt" not just shoot.

I'm glad you mentioned the the bait pile. I often wonder how many guys that want Ohio regs would like or love the bait reg. I can see both sides of the argument. I hunted in Ohio and didn't realize they baited during the season. Honestly I felt like I was cheating the whole time .

I'm glad you mentioned the the bait pile. I often wonder how many guys that want Ohio regs would like or love the bait reg. I can see both sides of the argument. I hunted in Ohio and didn't realize they baited during the season. Honestly I felt like I was cheating the whole time .

Then don't bait, they don't require you to do it is all up to the hunter. I sit on a 15 acre bait pile every year and have 2 other spots one on a 47 acre bait pile and a 24 acre bait pile. Obviously I am referring to AG fields it isn't much different of a concept like food plots.

I can see there is not much difference between opening and dropping a bag of apples vs sitting near an apple tree but there is a limit for me to man's interference in the process.  To each his own but please don't brag to me about how you are a great hunter if you are sitting over bait.  IMO you are short changing the experience if you bait.  Ted Nugent can shoot lights-out with his bow over a pile of bait.  WIth his bad knees he can't hunt any other way.  Good for him.  Not for me.  As long as I am able-bodied I will give deer every fair chase opportunity I can including not using trail-cams.  Respect the quarry. 

Then don't bait, they don't require you to do it is all up to the hunter. I sit on a 15 acre bait pile every year and have 2 other spots one on a 47 acre bait pile and a 24 acre bait pile. Obviously I am referring to AG fields it isn't much different of a concept like food plots.

Food plots vs. Dumping a bag of acorn rage are not even in the same league as far as I am concerned. Most people have no idea how much time, sweat and MONEY goes into food plot. 95% of hunters would just hear what it takes and costs and would never even attempt it. Much easier for joe blow to go to walmart to grab a bag of whatever they want dump it 20yrds in front of them and shoot the 1st button buck that comes by. Food plots we plant are so the property will hold the deer so they don't wander to the neighbors and get shot. Also to help sustain the herd throughout the winter when they need it the most.

Matt I tried doing a you tonight watching a field had 10 does filter in... But no horns! Saw some good sign so going to keep watching it hoping a big boy shows himself! Saw one there earlier in the month chasing a doe!

Stay on the food trust me they need it. Believe me the pictures I have do no do this deer I have any justice, he is worn down. You can pretty much see the top of his spine. They need food at this point

Edited by JakeyBaby

Stay on the food trust me they need it. Believe me the pictures I have do no do this deer I have any justice, he is worn down. You can pretty much see the top of his spine. They need food at this point

"Believe me the pictures I have do no do this deer I have any justice, he is worn down. "

What is your meaning of the above statement?

" You can pretty much see the top of his spine. They need food at this point. "          

Do you think the deer in your area are starving?

Edited by Locoman

No, what I mean is that the deer is much better in rack size then the pictures show. By being run down I mean that I would bet he has lost 40-50 lbs in the last month from the rut and now it's time for them to eat and put weight back on before the winter.

Edited by JakeyBaby

O god this thread is headed down the crapper just like the where are the salmon thread

I was thinking the same thing.  Although I found the article interesting, it belongs in its own thread. 

I do not want to comment on it other than to say that Every year I get personal conflict between harvesting a young buck or letting it go so that I may see bigger ones in the future.  The conflict comes because my kids eat the hotdogs and I want them to eat them instead of ballparks/oscar myer.  This year I let 2 young bucks (easy kills) walk to the ire of the senior citizen land owners who want their tags filled.  LIke I have said before (every other year that this comes up) - It is a personal decision that the hunting group or individual must decide.  Taxes what they are, I have a hard time telling a landowner not to shoot a crotch horn.  I have a hard time telling a person on the border of sustenance living they should not be filling their tags.  If a guy can't afford beef, what makes someone think he can afford a taxi?  I guess I did want to comment on this.  Still, Should be in another thread. 

Matt, Nice buck.  Are you sure that the rut is over?  The second one hasn't really shown itself yet where I am at.  I am hopefull that this weekend will start up again.  This would be the same weekend that it did last year.  I have yet to see a buck past its 3rd yr - a bunch of little ones.  Kinda wondering why I am bothering (hotdogs brings me back to it).  I would rather be perching or eyeing.

Joe

Over? He'll it never even showed it self where I am LOL. No I'm sure there is still doe's that have not been bread yet, and 2nd rut is about to be upon us. This week has always proven to be good to me, especially Nov 29th. I've taken to nice bucks on the evening of the 29th in the past 3 seasons, this is the one from two years ago......

post-148213-14489762793607_thumb.jpgpost-148213-14489762988571_thumb.jpg

If it is legal in the state your hunting in then leave it be.  If it is a fair chase issue for you don't do it but we shouldn't bad mouth each other for doing something.  I personally hate drive hunting...however I use it to my advantage.  Used to have neighbors that would drive there property the Friday after thanksgiving like clock work.  We would always kill a good deer because of there techniques...Best part is they were the whiners when it came to not shooting good deer....

As far as my feelings on feeding them...well I hope to shoot a Booner next year in Saskatchewan while his head is berried in a pile of alfalfa....Good luck harvesting them any other way in the Boreal forests of the north!

Nice deer Jakey and everybody else who scored this very difficult season!

Turnips huh..... ☺

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Tried turnips deer would walk past them into the soybean or cornfields, deer in my area prefer the clover. The trick is to get the does to come into the plot then the bucks will follow. Here is my suggestion for food plots for our NE weather, clover or alfalfa early season, brassica for late season.

Tried turnips deer would walk past them into the soybean or cornfields, deer in my area prefer the clover. The trick is to get the does to come into the plot then the bucks will follow. Here is my suggestion for food plots for our NE weather, clover or alfalfa early season, brassica for late season.

Turnips ARE a type of brassicas

Sunday night I had 12 doe and 3 bucks mowing the turnips down! That was only one of the three turnip fields we have, we also have 3 with clover plots this year to rotate the corn out from last season that they love also. There is a big field to the north of us that has alfalfa in it that the deer don't seem to have much interest in.